GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wet weather super tacky/grippy tyres wanted

cramwell

Recently had to change my front tyres. I was adamant on keeping with the continentals that came with the car (and still on the rear) but succomemed to the tyre garage recommendation - Yokohama BluEarth A.

Ever since, the driving characteristics are completely different. Very skittish on poor tarmac, rubbish grip when mildly moist, zero grip when wet. (Oddly, never aquaplanes though, so I guess that's a plus!)

The roads round here aren't in the best condition, and it nearly always rains. Anyone have any suggestions for some super tacky tyres that perform well in the wet?

The car has got a DTUK piggy-back ecu, and is claimed to be running 250bhp and 500 lb/ft torque. It would be nice to actually be able to use all this power without the wheels spinning up!

Cheers

mondo

Ready to race!
Mine came with Bridgestone Potenza (18")
Very happy with their grip in wet weather

Zaphod

You getting much wheel hop in the wet on the Potenzas? I get some serious wheel hop especially in sport mode with the more responsive throttle. And thats not at full throttle either.

ROBK75

Ready to race!
Michelin SuperSports :), the perfect tyre.

I do love the SuperSports and am on my second set now but I don't think they're ideal for the UK and our shitty weather to be honest. Especially over the last few months when it seems to be constantly cold and damp my car really struggles for traction in 1st, 2nd and sometimes even 3rd gear.

On a warm sunny day they're great, some of the speeds I can carry through bends is quite scary but as we don't get many of those days in this country I'm thinking of switching to something else next time.

Anyone tried the Continental Sport Contact 6? Most reviews put them close to the PSS in the dry but much better in the wet.

ROBK75

Ready to race!

My car came with the S001 as standard and although they're not bad, I don't think they were any better than the Pilot SuperSport in the wet and they're nowhere near in the dry.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
My Bridgestone Potenza S001's were awful for grip on my 2013 MK7 GTD. Tramping all the time and very easy to spin the wheels. Only good side is I got over 20k miles out of them.

My new 2016 GTD has the optional 19" Santiago alloys, and these came shod with Pirelli P-Zero tyres, and I have to say in my opinion they are fantastic. Much quieter than the Bridgestone's and not as crashy over rough surfaces (despite going from 18" to 19"), but mainly awesome grip in both the wet and dry. If I boot it away from the lights in my DSG equipped GTD in the wet, I can get a "chirp" of the traction control light, but the car still catapults away. In the dry no wheel spin at all.