GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Overriding "Unresponsive Throttle While Depressing the Brake Pedal" Feature?

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Overriding "Unresponsive Throttle While Depressing the Brake Pedal" Feature?

It seems that VW has designed the system so that the throttle is unresponsive while depressing the brake pedal. I have used VCDS coding to modify the ECS behavior so that ECS is completely off when disabled through the Car Set-Up menu. Is there another way to override this "feature"?

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks Gti jake.

yo_marc

Ready to race!
You can do heel-toe downshifts on a stock GTI, just not the left foot braking as others have pointed out above.

Do you mean you cannot left-foot brake and perform clutchless downshifts?

I am probably misunderstanding, but cant figure out how you can heel-toe, but not left-foot brake.

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
heel on accelerator, toe on brake pedal, all with right leg

Or more likely with toe on brake side of foot/heel on accelerator

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Do you mean you cannot left-foot brake and perform clutchless downshifts?

I am probably misunderstanding, but cant figure out how you can heel-toe, but not left-foot brake.

You can blip the throttle without any issues when doing a heel-toe downshift, but anything more than a blip will cut off power.

So a-la rally style left foot braking while being on the throttle aggressively wouldn't work, as the ECU will cut power if enough pressure on the brakes are applied (I think that's how it worked..? It was discussed in a thread a while ago).

APR and other ECU tunes can override this and allow you to channel your inner scandinavian rally driver

yo_marc

Ready to race!
Thanks for clarifying guys. I was thinking of left-foot braking as in road-racing. Used like heel-toe, but no clutch. (The kind of thing where you have multiple transmissions ready to swap in when needed)

Related question; does this mean that you cannot hold the brake and spool the turbo from a dig? (meaning, you have to use launch control?)