GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me out of leaving VW

NickC

Ready to race!
You mean they unplugged the fuse to get the trade in lowered :D

Haha, I would believe that if it hadn't quit on the way there. First day of the year I had tried it, I am a windows down kinda dude until the fam rides with me. It was one of those "You gotta be shittin me" moments.

NickC

Ready to race!
Shoulda traded me wheels before trading it in lol

Congrats on the truck, no a holes here just giving our 0.02 since you asked.

First things I’d do now is get a trifold bed cover (cheap and quality on autoanything) and remove the plastic chin spoiler thing they clip on under them bumper for no reason. Looks so much better w/o it

Dang! I totally forgot man, I would have. Honestly if I still had my stocks I would have swapped them out and put the Lagunas on my wife's Passat.

Loonster

Ready to race!
The novelty of that truck will fade in less than a month.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I will stay VW if I can get back into a Mk6. I gotta tell ya, my Mk7 expereience is less than that of my Mk6. Holy rattles batman, and the ride quality is a tiny tiny bit too harsh for me. That's just me.

I will likely go Audi, I hope.

Medic

It’s a done deal I know but I got rid of my 2wd car for a ford Ranger here in the UK, lasted six months and having made the Ford mine i traded in for a VW Golf Alltrack (2.0l Diesel 4motion here in the Uk) 1 year on couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmericanEnthusiast

Passed Driver's Ed
So I have been a VW guy for years, love my MK7. Recently purchased a house farther from work in a more rural area, and the roads can get bad in the winter. There have been many times that I have really needed a truck because things just don't quite fit in a hatch. Started looking at trucks, the F150 ecoboost really fits the bill but I can't afford to have an extra car payment, so it means trading the GTI in. The plan is and has been to eventually buy an aircooled VW or MK1 project to restore and go to shows.

Talk me out of trading in the MK7 GTI on an Ecoboost.

Anyone here own an EcoBoost? How do you like it? Would you daily it over your MK7?
NickC: I love trucks, but if all you need is awd/4wd then go for an alltrack. Those are very nice, and they are a wagon giving you a sizeable advantage over the base golf. Just my 2 cents. Ultimately go with whatever makes you excited to get out and drive everyday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pure/white/gti

So I have been a VW guy for years, love my MK7. Recently purchased a house farther from work in a more rural area, and the roads can get bad in the winter. There have been many times that I have really needed a truck because things just don't quite fit in a hatch. Started looking at trucks, the F150 ecoboost really fits the bill but I can't afford to have an extra car payment, so it means trading the GTI in. The plan is and has been to eventually buy an aircooled VW or MK1 project to restore and go to shows.

Talk me out of trading in the MK7 GTI on an Ecoboost.

Anyone here own an EcoBoost? How do you like it? Would you daily it over your MK7?

Buy a different truck. You’ll miss the fun of driving the MK7

NickC

Ready to race!
Thought I'd post an update for anyone that might be interested.

2 weeks in and I am in love. I have missed looking at my MK7, but so far haven't missed driving it. The versatility of a truck has come in handy quite a bit so far, I know that I won't be hauling stuff all the time, but still handy. I have always had a hard time seeing at night in the rain, always attributed it to my astigmatism, but have found it was my driving position. No hate for VW, my wife still has a Passat, and believe me I haven't stopped looking for that special car to become a project. It all came down to being able to have a daily that could do it all, and a fun car to sit in the garage. Thanks for all of the advice and help during my stint in a MK7.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Thought I'd post an update for anyone that might be interested.

2 weeks in and I am in love. I have missed looking at my MK7, but so far haven't missed driving it. The versatility of a truck has come in handy quite a bit so far, I know that I won't be hauling stuff all the time, but still handy. I have always had a hard time seeing at night in the rain, always attributed it to my astigmatism, but have found it was my driving position. No hate for VW, my wife still has a Passat, and believe me I haven't stopped looking for that special car to become a project. It all came down to being able to have a daily that could do it all, and a fun car to sit in the garage. Thanks for all of the advice and help during my stint in a MK7.

Which truck did you wind up buying? Were you running tint on your GTI? My night vision increased significantly without the 10% tint on my GTI (10% light transmission for those of you across the pond). :)

NickC

Ready to race!
Which truck did you wind up buying? Were you running tint on your GTI? My night vision increased significantly without the 10% tint on my GTI (10% light transmission for those of you across the pond). :)

2017 Ford F150 EcoBoost

No I had no tint on the GTI, just never got around to it. Honestly think it was being lower and in direct line of oncoming headlights.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
2017 Ford F150 EcoBoost

No I had no tint on the GTI, just never got around to it. Honestly think it was being lower and in direct line of oncoming headlights.

Makes sense to me, even though I haven't been in a truck in years.

E-rok

Passed Driver's Ed
I’d NEVER suggest an eco boost f150.

If you buy one the ONLY engine that makes sense is the 5.0

Eco boost gets terrible mileage if you drive more aggressively than a 108 year old women, and if you tow anything at all forget it. You’ll see single digit mpg.

I was about to pull the trigger on a aluminum f150 5.0 and backed out and got my gti. I already had a dodge Cummins at the time so I figured no point in having two trucks. Anyway my neighbor who drove me to the dealership that day ended up buying a 5.0 f150. He’s not particularly easy on it and gets 21mpg like clockwork, and even towing his beetle on a 4500# trailer it gets 18-19 mpg. It is 2wd tho so subtract 2-3 mpg for a 4x4

As for eco boost I’ve had several friends with them and they get 15mpg at best empty and 8-12 with a small trailer

Honestly tho if you can’t afford both new why not consider a cheaper truck for the days you need one and keep the gti as a daily?

Old bump and I know the OP already bought one but I have to disagree with this post.

I had 2 different 2015 F150 3.5 ecoboost trucks before my GTI. Both had 34" Duratracs and a leveling kit on them. Both got 17mpg untuned, 19-20mpg tuned. Empty mileage of course, but I did not baby them. Great trucks and motors really.

But I did do what what this post suggested and got my GTI and paid cash for a cheaper 02 F150. But single digits on an ecoboost by simply driving them somewhat aggressively? No.

NickC

Ready to race!
Old bump and I know the OP already bought one but I have to disagree with this post.

I had 2 different 2015 F150 3.5 ecoboost trucks before my GTI. Both had 34" Duratracs and a leveling kit on them. Both got 17mpg untuned, 19-20mpg tuned. Empty mileage of course, but I did not baby them. Great trucks and motors really.

But I did do what what this post suggested and got my GTI and paid cash for a cheaper 02 F150. But single digits on an ecoboost by simply driving them somewhat aggressively? No.

Thanks for the reply, even if it is to late. :D
I LOVE the truck, no regrets here. It really boiled down to what I needed as a daily, and that was a truck. It has proven so much more practical than the GTI ever was. I knew that if I bought a cheaper used truck I'd end up driving it all the time and the GTI would have been costing me money to sit in the garage. MK1 Jetta/Golf is in my future, with a VR6 or built TDI swap, something fun to tinker with and drive on the weekend.

NickC

Ready to race!
So most wont care, but the MK1 came true because the 7 is gone. I know have what I really wanted and my son and I are having a blast.

Hope all had a Merry Christmas.