GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Inexpensive Plastic Ramps

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I use Rhino ramps, no complaints. Quite convenient for oil changes, etc. There is a rubber boot that falls out quite easily. Do not lose, as that is what keeps them from sliding.

I am lowered on VWR springs. To get them up to the tire I need to give them a swift kick to wedge them between floor and bumper.

Last edited:

importrx7

Ready to race!
I have those ramps and they have worked really good for the couple years I had them. To make the bumper clear and not scrape, I bought some 2x4s cut them down and use it as a boost and it doesn’t scrape. I also use the ramps when I need to get the car up higher. I’ll put the car on the ramps then put about 4 cut pieces of2x4 on my jack and lift from the center of the subframe.that way you can get that extra 6-9 inches giddy lol. Move the ramps and gentle set down on jack stands on the pinch welds

importrx7

Ready to race!
I do all my basic maintaince using these and zero problems. My friends garage was real smooth concrete and it would slide easy there but his garage floor is like ice

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Lots of reports of those collapsing.

No way, hard pass.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
The plastic would be nice for storage.
I went the route of home made.
With information from form I designed mine. Bottom board is wider so balanced. Added an end stop so it helps let me know location as I drive up by myself. Stepped up so I clear lowered car. Could use simple screws but I opted for some higher end bolt/screws. Made with pressure treated wood. I could not back up on gravel as they slide on gravel driveway. Jacked up and used as wheel supports.
Feel solid which is good. Could hold a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The plastic would be nice for storage.
I went the route of home made.
With information from form I designed mine. Bottom board is wider so balanced. Added an end stop so it helps let me know location as I drive up by myself. Stepped up so I clear lowered car. Could use simple screws but I opted for some higher end bolt/screws. Made with pressure treated wood. I could not back up on gravel as they slide on gravel driveway. Jacked up and used as wheel supports.
Feel solid which is good. Could hold a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wondering why you're using jackstands too.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
The HF ones look stronger, and with their 20% off coupon, about $32.

They had steel and plastic ones at the HF near me and even better, they let you take one out front to see if it'll clear your bumper. There's a little room to spare on my GTI with the stock suspension, so it may work with the R. Once I lower it, I might have to use some helper plywood or make ramps.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Wondering why you're using jackstands too.

Peace of mind.
Just as a back up.
Two ramps would have to fail and two stands before I get crushed.
Have them so thought I would just line them up. The stands have no weight just close to car. I also chocked it in both directions but mainly back side so it would not roll on me.
A gravel driveway always gives me caution.

peacefrog_0521

Passed Driver's Ed
I use Rhino ramps, no complaints. Quite convenient for oil changes, etc. There is a rubber boot that falls out quite easily. Do not lose, as that is what keeps them from sliding.

I am lowered on VWR springs. To get them up to the tire I need to give them a swift kick to wedge them between floor and bumper.

I've had my Rhino Ramps so long (at least 14 years) I don't remember where I got them (most likely Wal-Mart) or what I paid for them. But they have been well worth it. I just looked at mine and they are Made in USA; not sure if new ones are. They have lots of internal ribs for good structural rigidity. Biggest vehicle I've had was my '02 Mazda Tribute (sister of Ford Escape) with V6 and AWD.

Only issue is they are a bit bulky for storage and don't nest as metal ones do, but you can place them head-to-toe when putting them away. (I stand corrected, apparently they do kinda "nest".)

Also mine have the rubber pads but they still tend to slide. This hasn't really been an issue except when I used them for my RWD Miata. As the rear wheels keep driving forward, there is just a bit too much momentum for them to stay put. I haven't fallen off, thankfully, but it makes planning the workspace around the car (yes even a tiny convertible) a bit harder. I used stacks of bricks to try to limit the sliding.

I just used them last night for doing the first oil change on my Golf - no issues. It's been about 8k since I bought the car in July. It was a nice day and I didn't want to wait on getting an oil extractor. With a stock TSi suspension, I had just enough access underneath (though more would have been nice).

Also be sure to use wheel chocks. (And don't forget to take them out when driving off the ramps, as I often do.)

EDIT: I just looked at the listing on Amazon; these look different from mine. Mine are more "contiguous" where the new ones appear to be like connected blocks. Not sure if it is this design which is leading to complaints.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I bought a set of 30" Raceramps from Amazon. They arrived yesterday. They're extremely lightweight, but when I test fitted one it was very close to the plastic parts. The instructions say your car could compress the ramp by about 1/8". That made me nervous, so I sent them back today. On the way home I stopped by Walmart and bought a new floor jack, jack stands and chocks. I had a set before, but I donated them when the jack started leaking. Should have kept the stands and chocks. Oh well, the set I bought is stronger. I always leave the floor jack in position in case the stand breaks. Now I can safely wrestle with the belly pan. Oh joy.