GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First time Tire Rack customer - question on road hazard

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I just purchased my first set of winter tires from tire rack (Michelin X-Ice XI3 195/65/R15), I've always gone to a local tire dealer in the past. I can't believe how good of a deal I got and the shipping/installation process went smooth as butter. And the icing on the cake appears to be the free 2-year road hazard warranty that came with the tire purchase- something I've never had before on any previous tire purchase (I've always opted out of the extra cost). Has anyone ever taken advantage of it? How easy has it been making claims with tire rack?

On a side note, I scored a set of four new-car take-off 15" steelies with OEM wheel covers from a local VW dealer for $200, so my total winter wheelset checked out at less than $700 installed. I'm psyched!

Last edited:

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
It’s good, I claimed 2 tires at the same time on my wife’s Subaru’s winters basically they will send you a check for the amount that you paid for the tires, all you need to do is send pictures of the tires showing the info on it, they will send you sample pictures of what they need, easy,mine had minor damaged but she drove the car for a bit when they went flat at the same time so sidewall were damage although they didn’t show it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
It almost seems too good to be true given their competitive prices. I'll definitely buy my next set from them as well.

I felt bad for the installation shop because they sell tires too, and here I was bringing tires purchased elsewhere to get installed. I mentioned this to the service desk as I was checking out, but he said it's all good because it ends up bringing him business for other stuff, and that he has a great relationship with tirerack. This shop also has a 5-star rating from tirerack generated from dozens of reviews.

On a side note they also programmed in the new TPMS pressures for me and somehow got the car info display to say "winter tires". I can't figure out how to program that in... did they need an OBD programming tool to do that?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Bought my first wheels and tires from TireRack back in 97. Since then have gone exclusively to Discount Tire because just assumed it was easier to have a dealer network to get replacement and want confident that installers would care enough about installing another company's tires.

Unfortunately recently, they have been under reporting tread depth to sell more tires sooner. Assumption on my part, but other option is ineptitude, which depending your perspective is far worse. First time, I was duped despite my scepticism because after 20 years dealing with them, had no reason to question.

2nd time I intentionally measured the tread before I went to get a rotation. They were 4/32 front and 6/32 rear, enough to rotate and get another 5k miles out of them. Discount Tire rep refused to rotate saying they were at 2/32. I mentioned that I had just measured and they were well above that and the wear bars which are at 2/32 were well below the edge of the tire.

This was at 2 different locations in Austin. When I lived in a small town, never had issues with them. I guess the quotas and sales expectations are higher.

Sorry for the tangent, but since then, have gone back to TireRack and it was seamless. They called me to confirm that I wanted 245/40 and they wanted to verify if I knew they would fit. Then they called back to let me know that my selected Firestone had a mounting machine that was broken and they could schedule at another one, which I did. Tires were installed only 2 days after ordering. And free hazard protection whereas with Discount, it would have been $80 more.

Couldn't be happier and they have a much bigger tire selection which is awesome.