GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Happened To My Paint???!!!! Clear Coat Issue on 2017 MK7?

2017MK7S

Hello all. I washed my car this weekend and it rained for two days after I washed it. This is what my car looked like today after the rain. It looks like huge water marks that I cannot get off. I have tried polishing compound and clay and it doesn't touch the stains. Could this be a clear coat quality issue from the manufacturer? Maybe moisture under the clear coat?

Attachments

• 20180130_132744.jpg
    20180130_132744.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 1,910
  • 20180130_132731 (1).jpg
    20180130_132731 (1).jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 1,467
Last edited:

2017MK7S

It looks like moisture under the clearcoat to me. Did you try putting a heat gun/hair dryer to it?

So yesterday I took the car to a detailer. He tried using a DA buffer and had no luck at all removing any of the spots. His guess was some type of clear coat defect. Then, I went to a body shop. They said moisture under the clear coat due to a defect in the clear coat application at the factory. Then... I went to the dealer. Sure enough, the dealer agreed that it appears to be a defect and VW should "take care" of it. Next step is meeting with the regional VW rep in the next week or so. Hopefully he agrees with the dealers opinion and we come to a resolution. But what will the resolution be? I sure don't want a repainted car with the reduced resale value due to a repaint. I don't see any other option but them replacing the car..... I am probably dreaming.

imovertheinternet

Something similar happened to me when I put my roof rack on, I even installed clear laminex underneath the roof rack pads to help prevent the issue but I guess moister still managed to get trapped underneath and made spots like yours. They eventually disappeared after a few days. Interested in what VW says to you about it.

Husky56

So after several days the spots have disappeared. Waiting to hear back from VW as to what they think is going on.....

2017 Reflex Silver car

I had the exact same thing happen to me after I took off my roof rack. I had an appointment with the VW dealer after spots didn't go away after a couple of weeks then they vanished!

Haven't come back since!

Rgraphic

Passed Driver's Ed
This is crazy. Even crazier that they simply disappeared when not even a Polisher and compound would remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something similar happened to me when I put my roof rack on, I even installed clear laminex underneath the roof rack pads to help prevent the issue but I guess moister still managed to get trapped underneath and made spots like yours. They eventually disappeared after a few days. Interested in what VW says to you about it.

Exact same issue with mine after roof rack removal. Spots gone within a couple of days.

2017MK7S

Sooo. After several weeks of talking to VW and the dealer, I have achieved nothing..... I could have pushed it harder but what could they actually do? Repaint my car? I dont want a repainted car.... Give me a new car? Im dreaming... So they just gave me a $200 gift card....

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The spots are still like that (what you posted in the 1st pic)? They never got better or went away?

A $200 gift card wouldn't have done it for me....you'll have to look at that "new" car everyday like that....that's a shame

EJK15

Car(s)
Taos VW
I know I am a couple years late to this conversation but this is the only thing on the internet I can find similar to my situation. I am waiting on the VW corporate to call back with an update. As of right now the spots are gone, but they reappear. I do not know what makes them appear. My friend who owns a body shop said the spots seem to be under the clear coat and happens when moisture is on the car for awhile. Any idea what to do? They have been gone for 2 days now and not reappeared but the car has also not been very wet. I do not use any chemicals on the car. The most that has ever happened is a car wash. The carwash gave me video evidence of the spots being there before entering the carwash. I park under a carport so the car is not exposed to much. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG-0712.jpg
    IMG-0712.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG-0655.jpg
    IMG-0655.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 124