GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring changes for SCCA 2018 Autocross

richard_rsp

I’m kind of surprised no one has really discussed the changes to Street Touring class for 2018!

First of all, it appears that MK7 1.8 Golfs and GTIs will be moving to a new STH class. Seems like most of the same competition, Focus/Fiesta STs, MINIs, WRXs, so that’s not a huge change from the STX category (a little more difficult for us 1.8 People though!)

But what IS a huge change is the allowance of boost modification to the ECU! The rules say that:
“F. The engine management system parameters and operation of internal combustion engines may be modified only via the methods listed below. The Check Engine Light (CEL) or Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) may be disabled via software. Only sensors equipped from the manufacturer may be used for engine management. Data acquisition modifications to the wiring and PCM/ECU are permitted.
1. For all model years, the following allowances apply:
a. The standard PCM/ECU may be re-programmed without restriction.
b. Fuel pressure regulator(s) may be replaced in lieu of electronic hardware or software alterations. It is not permitted to mechanically alter the fuel pressure regulation AND make other hardware or software changes to engine operation.
c. Ignition timing may be set at any point on factory-adjustable distributor ignition systems. “

This is taken from page 75 of the 2018 draft rules

While this sounds awesome for APR or Unitronic tuned owners, My question is, will this include devices like the Neuspeed PM, Dinantronics Tuner, or JB1/JB4? I’m not really sure how they work, but I don’t think they replace the fuel pressure regulator, do they? Also the statement “Only sensors equipped from the manufacturer may be used for engine management” sounds like this it might exclude that type of tuner from this class.

Hopefully someone out there is more knowledgeable...

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I think the line is meant for certain cars where altering programming doesn't give you the gain because it is limited by fuel pressure.

The piggy back style ECU is considered the same for all intends and purpose as a flash, to my understanding.

STH sounds interesting but I'd be more interested if I have a DSG car as the weakest link is the MT clutch for the higher boost car.

richard_rsp

The piggy back style ECU is considered the same for all intends and purpose as a flash, to my understanding.
Well, I kept reading and The only problem with that is in the next section the rules say:
2. For 2005 and older model year vehicles:
a. A supplementary (“piggyback”) PCM/ECU is permitted. It must be plug-compatable with the standard PCM/ECU (no splices) and must connect only between the standard PCM/ECU and its wiring harness.
b. Electronic components may be installed in-line between the engine sensors and PCM/ECU. These components may alter the signal from the sensor in order to affect the PCM/ECU operation. Example: Fuel controllers that modify the signal from an airflow sensor.
To me it looks like on the MK7 (or any 2006+ car), it really only allows actual tunes, not devices like the JB4 or Dinantronics tuner. That’s a bummer, as I don’t really see much difference. I guess it DOES prevent stacking of the two tunes, though. Guess I will be looking at the APR Plus tune after all...

STH sounds interesting but I'd be more interested if I have a DSG car as the weakest link is the MT clutch for the higher boost car.
Yeah, same with me. I’m on a Dinantronics tuner at the moment, but a bit concerned that my clutch wouldn’t take that much abuse on a fully tuned car.

Last edited:

richard_rsp

wow!... I'm afraid that the IS38 is going to bump you to Street Modified. Under the Street Prepared category (Page 90) it says:

"No hardware changes or alterations to turbocharger(s) or supercharger(s), in size or number, are permitted. Turbochargers or
superchargers may be updated/backdated only in conjunction with the accompanying complete engine unit."