GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis - Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GOLFMK7. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GOLFMK7 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK7 so we can keep this place running!

Old 10-22-2017, 05:26 AM   #1
Disturbd1

Tire Suggestions For Heavy Rain

Tires are one of my many areas of ignorance where my car is concerned. I live in Oregon, and if you're familiar with Les Schwab, I've always purchased my tires through them. I've also never really asked them about my options, but pretty much stuck to Toyo Proxes for the last ten years.

Without diverting by going into too much detail, I won't be doing business anymore with them. Now I need to actually be an informed consumer and buy tires of my own choosing.

I have a '15 GTI with the stock Austin wheels. I believe the tires may still be factory, and as it has started to rain here, I can't get on it without slipping.

What do those who live in areas with heavy rainfall recommend? I don't care about how they perform in snow, as we seldom get any and I'd use chains anyway. I also don't particularly care about summer performance, since Oregon's summer lasts 2 months at best. The rest of the time, it's probably raining.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Disturbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:32 AM   #2
Gti jake

Drives: GTI 6MT
I live in upstate SC and commute up into Charlotte NC. We don't get rain often, but when we do it's wild. Several inches within hours and standing/running water on the roads is a very serious problem.

My Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 have done great, and I'd highly recommend them for wet & dry summer weather. With our mild winter here I'll be running them year around but technically they're rated for 55* F and up
Old 10-22-2017, 05:49 AM   #3
George Ab

Drives: GTI MK7, BMW E90
I am in the Northwest and generally run either the Continental Extreme Contact DWS or Michelin Pilot Sport AS3. Michelin are on GTI and Continental are on BMW. I really like both tires.
George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
golfdave

Drives: Defensively, avoiding all the other idiots!!
The best tyres on heavy water I have experienced are my winters (Michelin Alpins) when I have run them slightly out of season...
golfdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
chiefhiawatha

Drives: 2017 GTI manual
The stock tires are the worst tires I have ever used on wet roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
chiefhiawatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #6
vj123

Drives: 2016 GTI
I have been using Continental ExtremeContact DWS all season tires and they are great. You will be able to see day and night difference with stock tires. They are as good as Michelin PilotSport AS3 at a cheaper price.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
MonkeyMD

Drives: 2016 VW Golf Tsi S Manual
Don't know what to recommend other than probably best tires I've had in the rain were Kumho Ecsta. They were better than my Michelin (not AS3 or PSS. Can't remember the model). These were not on the Golf.

Definitely NOT recommended are Falken Pro G4 AS that I have on now. Hydroplane at very low speeds in heavy rain. The weird thing is it grips really well in wet conditions, just doesn't extract standing water very well.
MonkeyMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:35 AM   #8
Disturbd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefhiawatha View Post
The stock tires are the worst tires I have ever used on wet roads.

I've never had a new car until now, so I have no basis of comparison, but my god they're abysmal.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:40 AM   #9
Disturbd1

Sounds like at least two experienced votes for Continental. I don't mind spending the extra money for a good set, if Michelin or Continental tend to be better than the other.

I did a brief search online the other day, a lot of BF Goodrich were top-rated as well. Thoughts?

Old 10-23-2017, 03:43 AM   #10
RacingManiac

Drives: Night Blue Metallic PP GTI 2dr 6MT
I've had the "pleasure" of driving 12 hours on the way back from Road Atlanta back to Michigan with the Hurricane providing basically non-stop rain the whole way. I was on Continental Extreme Contact Sports, and I thought those tires did quite well, including driving through the back roads of NC/TN and a whole lot of interstate driving.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:51 AM   #11
BxGTI

Drives: 2015 VW MK7 GTI, 2017 Audi A4 PP S Line2.0T
Best wet performance of all my years driving and using several brands to me Contis DWS takes the cake, the amount of confidence that they give you driving in the rain is amaizing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2017, 04:56 AM   #12
chiefhiawatha

Drives: 2017 GTI manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbd1 View Post
Sounds like at least two experienced votes for Continental. I don't mind spending the extra money for a good set, if Michelin or Continental tend to be better than the other.

I did a brief search online the other day, a lot of BF Goodrich were top-rated as well. Thoughts?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...o_desktop=true

chiefhiawatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:05 AM   #13
Gawernator

Drives: '17 Wolfsburg 1.8T; '15 ZX6R Racebike (x2)
Continental extreme contact DWS06 work awesome and the price is good too
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | Bridgestone | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Gawernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #14
Sub-to-Dub

Drives: '17 GTI Sport
I'll throw in another vote for the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. I've been very impressed with their grip in heavy rain.
Sub-to-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:02 PM   #15
Disturbd1

Thanks guys, I will most definitely look into Continental DWS

Old 10-23-2017, 09:09 PM   #16
Evil Minion

Drives: '15 GTI DSG
Just in case you need more convincing, I autocrossed my old '15 Mustang GT on DSW's right after a heavy rain where the course was soaked. I had to try really really hard to get it to get loose to see where the limit was. Extremely impressed with them in the wet. Dry was good too of course, though not as good as a proper summer tire in the dry.

2015 GTI DSG Autobahn

Injen - deAutoKey - ECS - Roc-Euro
Evil Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:10 PM   #17
tex

Drives: 2015 VW GTI PP
Aren't the DWS also supposed to be great for noise and ride comfort?

I ask because I have a 50 mile x 2 daily commute nowadays and tire change time is coming up in the next few months
tex is offline   Reply With Quote