GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Post your VW Driver Gear spring setup.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I have to say, I'm pretty sure my stock suspension settled lower after year of ownership. Brand new my wheel gap was an monster truck 4 fingers. Before installing the DG springs the gap was a 3-3 1/2 finger gap. Granted I didn't do any empirical measuring.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Looks good. I have the exact same set up, including the 15/20 spacers. I thought the wheels looked pushed too far out when I first put the spacers on, but they've grown on me over the summer and look normal now.

I went down from 15/20 to 10/15. Wait until the winter arrives. Your car will stay significantly more clean. Much less crap sprayed up the sides and back.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Finally got my DG springs installed on my GTI Sport. Thought I'd add my pics to the repository of DG spring knowledge.

Overall I'm pleased. Would loved to have gone with a VWR drop but this is the best compromise for looks and for practicality/current needs. Went from about a 3 1/2 finger gap to about 2 fingers. It rides and feels exactly the same as the stock springs-- no exaggeration. If you can tell the difference you have some ultra sensory abilities. To reiterate a common opinion-- this is how a GTI should be stock.

I also have the ECS flush kit installed. I'm not sure if I'm totally on board with the poke of the 15mm/20mm spacers. Might want to go 10mm/15mm.

That does look better. I have the same springs to install... to me it would probably be perfect about .5-.75" lower... however this gets rid of the SUV stance look and still leaves the car plenty drivable in daily life situations. I'm not looking forward to having my bumper ripped off because it's slammed to the ground..

LI_GTI_Guy

Ready to race!
Finally got my DG springs installed on my GTI Sport. Thought I'd add my pics to the repository of DG spring knowledge.

Overall I'm pleased. Would loved to have gone with a VWR drop but this is the best compromise for looks and for practicality/current needs. Went from about a 3 1/2 finger gap to about 2 fingers. It rides and feels exactly the same as the stock springs-- no exaggeration. If you can tell the difference you have some ultra sensory abilities. To reiterate a common opinion-- this is how a GTI should be stock.

I also have the ECS flush kit installed. I'm not sure if I'm totally on board with the poke of the 15mm/20mm spacers. Might want to go 10mm/15mm.

Looks great....just enough of a drop to improve the appearace without sacrificing driveability. I plan to install these springs in the very near future as well.

Would you care to share the part number for the DG springs you installed? I know theres been debate on this so seeing them on a GTI is reassuring that there arent any issues.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I got the confirmed, undisputed, correct kit for the GTI: 5G4 071 677 E.

I was a bit thrown off when I received the springs (from someone on the forum) because they are printed with the part numbers MUB 071 675 B and MUB 071 676 C. Which are indeed turns out to be the correct Mubea part numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I've changed my opinion on how the DG springs ride. Initially, I thought it felt exactly the same as stock. That was based on my freeway commute. Today I took the twisty way home and I’m really happy to say that I can feel a noticeable difference. The car definitely feels more planted and has less body roll. There are sections and curves on my drive where I used to feel the car getting squirrelly and now with the DG springs, I definitely feel more connected with the road with better control.

One thing that really improved that I wasn’t expecting was that the springs have significantly reduced NVH on a few rough and bumpy sections on my drive that used to make my teeth chatter. The springs surprisingly smoothed it out with less noise and cabin rattling. Otherwise, NVH is the same as stock generally. However, the ride does feel slightly stiffer so bigger bumps are a different story.

I wasn’t expecting much initially and I was probably biased because of the moderate drop and using stock dampers. I’m glad to say this is turning out to be a mod that’s very well worth it. Not huge improvement performance-wise but enough to make my daily drive more pleasant and fun.

Last edited:

LI_GTI_Guy

Ready to race!

I was a bit thrown off when I received the springs (from someone on the forum) because they are printed with the part numbers MUB 071 675 B and MUB 071 676 C. Which are indeed turns out to be the correct Mubea part numbers.

Thanks for the clarification.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Where are you guys finding the best prices on the DG springs these days? Price is all over the board from the usual sites, especially when shipping is factored in.

athos56

Ready to race!

Not to be a pain, the ECS search tool said they (5g4071677e) don't fit my 2017 GTI Sport, but they do? Looking to compile my list of "To Buy" upgrades and I like how they look. Thanks.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Yes, they fit. That’s why this thread exists. [emoji1303]

And yes, that is the correct part number.

The dealership may also say that they don’t fit. But again, they do.

Last edited:

lokerola

Ready to race!
Yes, they fit. That’s why this thread exists. [emoji1303]

And yes, that is the correct part number.

The dealership may also say that they don’t fit. But again, they do.

I had a funny (or disconcerting, depending on how you look at it,) experience with the dealer. I called with the spring part # everyone here is using. The VW parts department said "Yep, that should fit." and I ordered the springs from the dealer. Then I dropped them off at service and the service manager called me and said "These springs are not supported in the GTI, only the Golf." I asked if they would go ahead and install them, and they agreed to do it.

So the parts guy said yes, and the service guy said no. In the end, the dealer installed them (reusing the stock bearings) and they've been great every since. This is how the car should have come stock.

I admit, I do like the even lower look of the VWR's, but I drive in and around the DC metro area, so the DG's are probably as low as I should go.

EDIT: Part number ordered and installed at VW - 5G4 071 677 E

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie