GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 10-21-2017, 06:56 AM   #205
rumbard1981

Drives: 2015 VW GTI SE 2 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailallstar View Post
Just put in the center exhaust tunnel front cover and rear exhaust tunnel cover.

Going for a drive a little later to see if I notice any difference in road noise.

Contemplating on ordering the rear axle cover soon too.

looks awesome! Have you noticed a big difference all-around? For the rear axle cover- what part number will you be using? I have a 2015 GTI
rumbard1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #206
golfdave

Drives: Defensively, avoiding all the other idiots!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbard1981 View Post
For the rear axle cover- what part number will you be using? I have a 2015 GTI
Did you not read the posts between the one you quoted & the one you posted above??

He has the estate with multilink rear suspension so will be able to fit the full width Passat one.

You have a hatch with multilink rear so you have to fit the short cover from the MK5 golf....as per my post on the first page ..post number 5

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpo...91&postcount=5
golfdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:23 PM   #207
rumbard1981

Drives: 2015 VW GTI SE 2 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdave View Post
Did you not read the posts between the one you quoted & the one you posted above??

He has the estate with multilink rear suspension so will be able to fit the full width Passat one.

You have a hatch with multilink rear so you have to fit the short cover from the MK5 golf....as per my post on the first page ..post number 5

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpo...91&postcount=5
Thanks Dave
rumbard1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:23 AM   #208
Derf

Drives: 2016 Golf GTI S (USA)
Dave,
can you answer me two quick questions?
1) does the front engine skid/under tray interfere at all with the oil pan drain plug? I couldn't tell from pictures if you need to remove any of it during an oil change.

2) a quick eyeball at the parts tally puts the figure at close to £700! For us yanks across the pond that comes out around $850, or in another way, almost 4% of the price of the base GTI @ $25,000. Considering we pay about $2.50 a gallon of gas, which nets about 30-35 miles, the practical purpose of increasing aerodynamics for saving 'fuel economy' seems mute, no?

I suppose this has a practical application for reducing under carriage damage by rough road conditions, and reducing cabin noise. Its difficult to put a price on that.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:54 AM   #209
lucyfek

Drives: 16 GTI S 2 door 6MT, 02 zx3
The front engine skid/under tray does interfere with access to the oil pan drain plug and I had to remove it for the oil change - not a big deal and with 10k change intervals even less of the pain.
lucyfek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #210
golfdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
Dave,
1) does the front engine skid/under tray interfere at all with the oil pan drain plug? I couldn't tell from pictures if you need to remove any of it during an oil change.

2) a quick eyeball at the parts tally puts the figure at close to £700! For us yanks across the pond that comes out around $850, or in another way, almost 4% of the price of the base GTI @ $25,000. Considering we pay about $2.50 a gallon of gas, which nets about 30-35 miles, the practical purpose of increasing aerodynamics for saving 'fuel economy' seems mute, no?

I suppose this has a practical application for reducing under carriage damage by rough road conditions, and reducing cabin noise. Its difficult to put a price on that.
The skid tray fully covers the underside of the engine bay area, so by definition you have to remove it to gain access to any part of engine bay now covered...

As for cost....$850 is a cheap set of tyres /alloys...which will have no real benefit ...these trays etc protect the car & oil pan, reduce road noise as stones hit these instead of the noisier metal....and will improve the stability of the car (Passat rear tray for estate does make a noticeable difference on high speed corners..)

Over here a US gallon (3.79lts) costs about £4.54..& at todays exchange rate is $5.99 ...

When you lot have to pay what we do then you will stop polluting as much otherwise there is no incentive to be clean & green. ....
Old 10-22-2017, 04:33 PM   #211
nonegiven

Drives: VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
Dave,

1. Just use an extractor and you never have to remove the skid tray.

2. I'll have one for sale for less than half that amount in about a month when I get back to the USA. Picked up a spare when I installed mine but they're so incredibly strong that I'll never need to use the spare.
nonegiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:50 AM   #212
Derf

Drives: 2016 Golf GTI S (USA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonegiven View Post
1. Just use an extractor and you never have to remove the skid tray.

2. I'll have one for sale for less than half that amount in about a month when I get back to the USA. Picked up a spare when I installed mine but they're so incredibly strong that I'll never need to use the spare.

That price was for all the parts front to rear. However, if the price is right I'll buy it from you.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:58 PM   #213
ARC

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Just fitted the skid tray under the engine on my GTI - fitting those brackets is painful but was made doable by following Dave's excellent instructions Contemplating adding the other covers as well now.
ARC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:35 PM   #214
golfdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC View Post
Just fitted the skid tray under the engine on my GTI - fitting those brackets is painful but was made doable by following Dave's excellent instructions Contemplating adding the other covers as well now.
"With great dexterity"....I think I wrote....

Easier than front bumper off to fit the brackets..
Old 10-27-2017, 11:40 PM   #215
replicate

Drives: Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Anyone tried applying these covers for a performance application?
Improved top speed or quarter mile times?
Sounds like they could be used to reduce drag and improve track performance. I’d just be a little worried about increased heat.
replicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:41 AM   #216
golfdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicate View Post
Anyone tried applying these covers for a performance application?
Improved top speed or quarter mile times?
Sounds like they could be used to reduce drag and improve track performance. I’d just be a little worried about increased heat.
If you read my first post you will find that most race cars & race styled road cars are totally flat/covered underside...Audi R8 & TT are more covered than our cars.

Most of the panels are designed for the car , VW chose not to fit then if the country importer states its not important to cut down the cost of buying (for them) so they can sell with a higher profit.

Many people have run the full metal skid trays on the older v6 MK4 golfs ok, let alone highly tuned 1.8T! Don't do a home made full exhaust tunnel cover, which is what one forum user did & posted earlier on this thread...he had heat problems.

The rear axle tray keeps the rear end down, even the short MK6 for the hatch which you will have to use (not the big Passat one). The front & rear exhaust tunnel trays are also very good...& I would do those.

You could fit the cheaper "aero" full cover for the engine bay instead of the skid tray, as if you don't like its not expensive.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:51 AM   #217
ARC

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Quote:
"With great dexterity"....I think I wrote....

Easier than front bumper off to fit the brackets..
I found I could get an arm through the access panels in the wheelarch liners and get a socket on the upper bracket bolts to tighten them with the undertray in place. That helped.
ARC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #218
replicate

Drives: Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Quote:
If you read my first post you will find that most race cars & race styled road cars are totally flat/covered underside...Audi R8 & TT are more covered than our cars.

Most of the panels are designed for the car , VW chose not to fit then if the country importer states its not important to cut down the cost of buying (for them) so they can sell with a higher profit.

Many people have run the full metal skid trays on the older v6 MK4 golfs ok, let alone highly tuned 1.8T! Don't do a home made full exhaust tunnel cover, which is what one forum user did & posted earlier on this thread...he had heat problems.

The rear axle tray keeps the rear end down, even the short MK6 for the hatch which you will have to use (not the big Passat one). The front & rear exhaust tunnel trays are also very good...& I would do those.

You could fit the cheaper "aero" full cover for the engine bay instead of the skid tray, as if you don't like its not expensive.
Thanks Dave. Had a quick re-read of the first post. Do you know the part number for the “aero” front tray? Definitely don’t want the 5kg one. Very keen to try the rear end cover.
replicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #219
golfdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicate View Post
Thanks Dave. Had a quick re-read of the first post. Do you know the part number for the “aero” front tray? Definitely don’t want the 5kg one. Very keen to try the rear end cover.
There are several types depending on the number of NACA ducts you want...

5Q0 825 236Q gives you two ducts/vents near the front

3Q0 825 236 give you an additional baffle grill at the rear ....(used on GTE I think)

5Q0 825 236M gives you NO vents so do not get!!

Both are full size trays & require the rear three bolts from the skid tray, but do NOT require the brackets or front bolts due to the light weight, they use the existing small black screws...

I would double check with dealer parts dept. first
Old 11-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #220
MrVaskis

Drives: Golf 7 variant, Octavia 2
Looks like photo from underside of Octavia, but most of parts are the same only I'm not sure about those two next to rear bumper.
MrVaskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #221
golfdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVaskis View Post
Looks like photo from underside of Octavia, but most of parts are the same only I'm not sure about those two next to rear bumper.
]
That's because it is MQB platform....& it gives the aero tray part number & not the skid tray number.

The rear two parts you cannot fit to the hatch as you don't have the room after the rear axle...& you cannot fit them to the Golf estate either..

The normal golf estate has from factory one panel already over the rear right side to cover the space for the dual outlet exhaust system from the "R". The other left hand panel which on the Octavia covers the exhaust tips cannot be used on the Golf estate as our exhaust has the muffler in this place...the Octavia has the muffler (rear box) where the rear suspension is...

I did thoroughly research this before I posted up the how to guides....we get the Octavia & Seat cars here also...& as basically a no go on those panels I did not mention them...

Tags
rough road package, skid trays, stone guards, under trays