GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Golf R Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 01:16 AM   #205
Diggs24
Senior Member
 
Diggs24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
Location: USA
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3,701
https://datazap.me/u/kettamean/

Only 1 log there.
__________________
JB4 / IE Intercooler / MAP cat+res Downpipe
Diggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:04 AM   #206
Kettamean
Member
 
Drives: 2017 Golf R
Location: Oregon
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 33
Not sure what is going on with the links. If this one doesn't work, I'll definitely be scratching my head:

https://datazap.me/u/kettamean/4th-l...19-25-26-27-28
Kettamean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:24 AM   #207
Diggs24
Senior Member
 
Diggs24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
Location: USA
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3,701
Looks fine to me.
__________________
JB4 / IE Intercooler / MAP cat+res Downpipe
Diggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:21 PM   #208
blahblah
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf R
Location: Mexico City
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 10
How is the JB4 at very high altitude?

I had a JB1 on my R for a year an loved it, I miss it. I sold the JB1 when I moved to Mexico City from Socal and tried to sell my 2016 R, I have decided to bring my R to Mexico City. The main drive I do, 1-3 times a week, is from Mexico City to Tepoztlan. From 7500 ft up to over 10,000 ft then down to 6,000. I drive the car quite hard and don't want to worry about blowing the turbo. Will a JB4 help produce any more power or torque than stock at these altitudes? Will a downpipe help? Can the JB4 work with a larger turbo?
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #209
George Smooth
Senior Member
 
George Smooth's Avatar
 
Drives: Golf 7 R
Location: South Africa
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
How is the JB4 at very high altitude?

I had a JB1 on my R for a year an loved it, I miss it. I sold the JB1 when I moved to Mexico City from Socal and tried to sell my 2016 R, I have decided to bring my R to Mexico City. The main drive I do, 1-3 times a week, is from Mexico City to Tepoztlan. From 7500 ft up to over 10,000 ft then down to 6,000. I drive the car quite hard and don't want to worry about blowing the turbo. Will a JB4 help produce any more power or torque than stock at these altitudes? Will a downpipe help? Can the JB4 work with a larger turbo?
It is fine. we developed the unit at 5600ft. If you going to use map 6 we just need to keep a eye at peak boost from 6000 and up.
At your altitude torque will be similar to coast and maybe around 10whp down at high rpm vs the coast.
On the R the JB4 cannot provide sufficient fueling for a big turbo.
George Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #210
George Smooth
Senior Member
 
George Smooth's Avatar
 
Drives: Golf 7 R
Location: South Africa
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,317
Some nice results by Bradley on this full weight DSG R running a E25 mix with a full weight car on all seasons. Tires pressures where dropped which affected the exits drastically.

Mods:
BMS JB4
BMS Meth kit
IE Carbon Intake
Leyo Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit
Leyo Motorsport Turbo Muffler Delete
Leyo Motorsport Turbo Inlet
Forge Intercooler
Forge Turbo Blanklet
Milltek Catless Turboback - Non Resonated/Non Valved

Slip:


Log:
George Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #211
blahblah
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf R
Location: Mexico City
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Smooth View Post
It is fine. we developed the unit at 5600ft. If you going to use map 6 we just need to keep a eye at peak boost from 6000 and up.
At your altitude torque will be similar to coast and maybe around 10whp down at high rpm vs the coast.
On the R the JB4 cannot provide sufficient fueling for a big turbo.
Okay.. I ordered a JB4.

Is a downpipe a good way to reduce the turbo lag at high elevation? Will a larger intercooler increase lag noticeably at high elevation? Can I run Map 2 with a downpipe at 10,000 ft with 93 fuel? Anyway I will log...
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #212
Schnell_R
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 Golf R DSG
Location: Monroe, NC
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 145
A larger charge air cooler will not hamper spool up.
Schnell_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:10 PM   #213
Schnell_R
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2017 Golf R DSG
Location: Monroe, NC
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Okay.. I ordered a JB4.

Is a downpipe a good way to reduce the turbo lag at high elevation? Will a larger intercooler increase lag noticeably at high elevation? Can I run Map 2 with a downpipe at 10,000 ft with 93 fuel? Anyway I will log...
Change one thing at a time. Don't go fixing problems before they are known. I would run the jb4 solidly for a month before making changes. A better flowing downpipe is always welcome in a performance application.
Schnell_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #214
Daument
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2017 R
Location: SE PA
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
I've recently upgraded my JB1 to JB4. I now have part and full throttle surging on map 2, Map 6 surges at part throttle but seems smooth at full throttle.


MAP2 first pull
2017 Golf R 6MT
no mods
60 degree day
3rd gear

1stpullmap2 by daument100, on Flickr[/IMG]

MAP2 second pull
same as above

2ndpullmap2 by daument100, on Flickr

MAP6

IMG_0452 by daument100, on Flickr

MAP6 Settings

map6 settings by daument100, on Flickr


Any ideas?

thanks !!
Daument is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:55 PM   #215
Diggs24
Senior Member
 
Diggs24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
Location: USA
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3,701
Ask George for newest firmware.
__________________
JB4 / IE Intercooler / MAP cat+res Downpipe
Diggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #216
OliS3
Junior Member
 
Drives: Audi S3
Location: UK
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 13
I was wondering how launch control works for you running a JB4

I run map 6 with 1st gear boost limited to 18.5psi and it was working fine. Now it takes off hard and about 5k rpm I get a massive loss of power and it takes a second until the power kicks in and then the car runs fine.

I assume it is a torque limiter or traction control coming in (I do have ESC fully off)

If I do a few in a row by the 3rd it works fine and continues to work fine (extra tyre temp or the car pulling power from getting warm?)
OliS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #217
Diggs24
Senior Member
 
Diggs24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
Location: USA
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliS3 View Post
I was wondering how launch control works for you running a JB4

I run map 6 with 1st gear boost limited to 18.5psi and it was working fine. Now it takes off hard and about 5k rpm I get a massive loss of power and it takes a second until the power kicks in and then the car runs fine.

I assume it is a torque limiter or traction control coming in (I do have ESC fully off)

If I do a few in a row by the 3rd it works fine and continues to work fine (extra tyre temp or the car pulling power from getting warm?)
Can you log this?
__________________
JB4 / IE Intercooler / MAP cat+res Downpipe
Diggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:48 PM   #218
OliS3
Junior Member
 
Drives: Audi S3
Location: UK
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs24 View Post
Can you log this?
I can't see why not, I think it is down to the extra torque the JB4 adds as others have had issues with the JB1 and dropping down the boost from 5 to 4.8 has solved it.

I was just wondering how many others have these issues
OliS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #219
lebenfitti
Junior Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs24 View Post
Ask George for newest firmware.
Where are we at on the firmware upgrade?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
lebenfitti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:30 PM   #220
Daument
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2017 R
Location: SE PA
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebenfitti View Post
Where are we at on the firmware upgrade?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk


George looked at the logs and sent new firmware. Itís been a few hundred miles since the update was installed. It still has a slight surge around 3500 with part throttle but itís virtually unnoticeable if your not driving it. Iíll be installing an AWE down pipe in the next few weeks, weíll see how that works out.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Daument is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:20 PM   #221
Mak_Attack
Member
 
Drives: 2017 Golf R
Location: Twin Cities
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 37
If i buy the bluetooth kit do i still need the data cable?
Mak_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.