GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

18" OE PRETORIA wheels now available

Neilsdeal

Ready to race!

Just in case anyone is still looking at these wheels; I took the leap and picked up the gloss black :)

Neilsdeal

Ready to race!
Wish mine came with 18's from the factory, especially the black pretoria's, they look good! The ride is pretty harsh with the oem 19's.

I was actually strongly considering the 19" Pretorias until I found this thread; the ride quality was my biggest concern. I just couldn't find any aftermarket wheels that I was into. I just loved the Euro look of the Prets too much.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I was actually strongly considering the 19" Pretorias until I found this thread; the ride quality was my biggest concern. I just couldn't find any aftermarket wheels that I was into. I just loved the Euro look of the Prets too much.

You stole words out of my mouth.

I bought a set of 19" Pretorias, drove it for 2 weeks and swapped for these wheels. Ride is much better and love the black wheels. But the stance with 19" was a lot better.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
First of all i would like to thank breaking badly for this thread.

I got a set of 19" Pretorias from a fellow member and drove around for 2 weeks. I was not happy with the ride and terrible roads in Michigan were making it worst. And i came across this thread a month back. I was very much convinced to opt the 18" due to the aforesaid issues and i love the looks of black wheels on a white car. Installed 18" a month back and could not be much happier. 19" are much aggressive than 18" and thats the only drawback with 18".

Now i will let the pictures speak.

19" Pretorias

18" Pretorias

Last edited:

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
First of all i would like to thank breaking badly for this thread.

I got a set of 19" Pretorias from a fellow member and drove around for 2 weeks. I was not happy with the ride and terrible roads in Michigan were making it worst. And i came across this thread a month back. I was very much convinced to opt the 18" due to the aforesaid issues and i love the looks of black wheels on a white car. Installed 18" a month back and could not be much happier. 19" are much aggressive than 18" and thats the only drawback with 18".

Can you do a side shot of the 18" too? Looks great!

Neilsdeal

Ready to race!
You stole words out of my mouth.

I bought a set of 19" Pretorias, drove it for 2 weeks and swapped for these wheels. Ride is much better and love the black wheels. But the stance with 19" was a lot better.

I’m glad you got it all worked out; we were definitely on the same path. The roads here in DFW are just not good enough for me to jump into 19s without some heavy thought. I agree about the stance being better on the 19s though..I’ll like throw some springs on sometime soonish and see how I feel then, but I’m definitely loving the wheels.

wide

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk8 R and Mk7.5 GTI
Ughnf. Looking sharp. Weight be damned, if i had an option for 18 pret's i would easily swap out from the austins.

20kg with New wintertires, think that is ok. How much is the 19" Pretoria with simalar tires? :rolleyes:

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
They are a smidge lighter than the Austin's. But probably in the top three of best looking wheels on a golf. I'm all about lw alloys, but had to pick these up through a huge dealer mark down. They did a really good job with the gloss black. One of the best wheel coating jobs I've ever seen oem or not.

Idk. They are expensive for what they are but if you can get these for a deal and sell your Austin's I'd say go for it. They make a great all season set up , and then you can always have a cheap lw alloy with 240 sized tires for summer, racing season. .

They do look magnificent.

Attachments

• IMG_20180629_154440.jpg
    IMG_20180629_154440.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 1,769

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
BIG UPDATE ON THE 18" PRETORIAS!

They are NOT 25+ POUNDS!

I just weighed them and compared to the stock austins and they are much lighter than advertised. I believe the VW weight is including packaging, and since they are not as popular, no one has updated with just the rim weight.

Running ventus v2 concepts that are a 21.4 lb tire.. I weighed an 18" pretoria at sub 43 pounds!

This means the wheel alone is close to 22 pounds plus or minus .3 lb. This is similar to the weight of the 19" pretorias.

Not a bad deal. I couldn't believe VW would make such a heavy pretoria when the 19" version is lighter so I tested and I was right!

Final recorded weight: 21.5 lb