GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water Ingress in rear hatch

Faz65

My 2014 Golf Mk7 1.6 TDI Bluemotion has developed a leak into the rear hatch.

After any rain, when you lift the hatch, water comes pouring out from the right hand internal plastic cover which gives access to the light cluster. The water does not breach the door seal and so does not wet the boot area. It simply collects inside the hatch.

The vehicle is 3 months out of warranty and neither the dealer nor VW UK are willing to help or provide any goodwill gesture even though it is probable that this fault developed during the warranty period. The dealer want the vehicle for 3 days and to charge me £450 just to diagnose the problem :eek: (Not a chance boys) Very, very disappointed with VW, standards have obviously slipped further than I thought at VAG.

Has anyone had similar water ingress problems on the rear hatch and could suggest a likely failure?

Ta in anticipation.

Drevo

What about the vw hatch release handle, it has a drainage hose failing that it might be a case of strip the rear out and put a hose on it wait and watch
Also the tailgate lights have sponge type seals worth checking them to
Take the tailgate trim of it’s only 4 screws and a load of clips once removed put the hose on and sit inside the car, could be the rear screen or spoiler to
Let us know how you get on

qed296

I'd be interested aswell, when I picked up our 14 plate gtd 3dr the spare wheel well was very wet, the seller put this down to being valeted with the boot left ajar. Now 2 months on and not washed the car for a week and letting it just get rained on its very wet again....awaiting ideas....

Drevo

Same as my previous comments buddy also check the rubber seal that goes round the tailgate is pushed in probably and isn’t slack if it is just crimp it tighter and press it back into position

Faz65

Problem solved.......
Took the rear hatch trim off and had my glamorous assistant pour water over the vulnerable parts of the hatch.
The drain pipe from the release handle (behind the VW badge) had detached from the drain hole in the bottom/middle of the hatch. The rubber gromit that held it in place had perished which had caused the drain tube to enter its contents into the inside of the hatch.
£4.50 from VW for a new one but not in stock so a trip to Halfords for a tube and gromit has cost me £3.50 and seems to have worked.
Not impressed at all that VW would not support me and wanted to charge £450 just to diagnose it. It took me around 20 mins to sort it in total.
My relationship with VW and its dealers is now an arms length one.....
Thanks for your help folks.

qed296

Well the cars back.
Rear light gaskets checked.
Boot seal checked.
Boot release drain tube checked.

Seems a a grommet was not fitted correctly in the rear panel and was letting water incress, now I've had a look and I'm not sure I can see it....can anyone else shed some light on its location??

Thanks

marvin1

Ready to race!
Well the cars back.
Rear light gaskets checked.
Boot seal checked.
Boot release drain tube checked.

Seems a a grommet was not fitted correctly in the rear panel and was letting water incress, now I've had a look and I'm not sure I can see it....can anyone else shed some light on its location??

Thanks

I had this same problem in my last MK6 Golf, after a rear slight shunt that damaged my rear O/S bumper apron and subsequent replacement.
In the right hand side of the boot, behind the removable trim, is a venting 'valve' for letting air out of the car and this is behind the bumper. If you pull away this trim (difficult) you'll see this flapper valve held into the metal panel with a rubber grommet surround.
Mine had got dislodged and damaged and water was pouring down the hatchback side channel and behind the light cluster and was entering the boot via this damaged vent.

Here's the vent in a MK4 Golf.
[/IMG]