GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can strut mounts and bearings be swapped w/out removing strut

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
"factory way" is not bad, but may require more tools and experience. I've had my share of stubborn struts not wanting to come out of their sleeves, so I like the "factory way" especially if the strut doesn't need to be removed in the first place.

There seems to be more familiarity with the 2x4 type removal here, so maybe you get more help here if things go south.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
This got me thinking...If you were to put compressors on the spring in the wheel well, would you be able to lift the strut out of the knuckle instead of using the 2x4 method?

I did that the first time I worked on my CC because I couldn't get the axle bolt out and the strut refused to come out of the knuckle. This was before I knew about the 2x4 method. What I got was a strut assembly that weighed twice as much and was impossible to negotiate inside the wheel well around the brakes, etc. After that time I just unbolted the ball joint and used a BFH on the knuckle with some WD40. Never again.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I am actually co templating doing this for the same reason.

It’s more a want to try something new. I wouldn’t say it’s right or wrong.

Especially with an impact or the upper strut tool I think it would go pretty fast. Although I have springs and I would have to compress much.

You should never EVER use an impact on strut mounts and bearings...DAP is retarded for posting a diy video showing it done that way.

Spinning the strut bearing and shaft of the strut itself 1000x faster than it should ever spin is a great way to cause issues...plus torque? Who knows, you'd be spinning the shaft and the nut. This has been beaten to death all over the forum...this is why so many rookies do the job twice or more

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
Well I see your point. But I’ve done this on 9 of my own vw’s and countless friends’ cars with no negative consequences that I knew of.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Well I see your point. But I’ve done this on 9 of my own vw’s and countless friends’ cars with no negative consequences that I knew of.

I've never done it because it takes 2 mins longer to do it correctly.

But I can't count how many threads with "struts make noise after install" have been solved by doing it correctly the second time

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
That very could be with newer styles. Most all of mine were pre mk5.

If I replace mine does it need both mounts and bearings?

Stock or 034 strut mounts?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I've always stuck with OEM, low mileage I reuse existing

Generally they last as long as the struts, about 100k or so if you don't abuse the car on pot holes and such

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
As an aircraft mechanic I would never consider doing it that way. One strut R&R isn't a big job at all, hour tops even taking your sweet ol time. Reaching "up skirt" into the fender and working blind is pointless.

I totally agree taking the strut out is the way to go (2x4) but it will take a guy who has never done it before longer than that. There is an art to using a strut spreader and it's a bitch if you don't know what you are doing...especially with the stock dampers that don't come out as easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I totally agree taking the strut out is the way to go (2x4) but it will take a guy who has never done it before longer than that. There is an art to using a strut spreader and it's a bitch if you don't know what you are doing...especially with the stock dampers that don't come out as easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a luck of the draw thing with how stuck or not they are. Usually worse on older cars due to rust.

The trick to the spreader is positioning it where the tab (that keeps the strut from falling out worst case if you jumped the car I guess) doesn't hit the spreader and knock it out. Takes two tries usually

sutter2k

Passed Driver's Ed
make sure you rule out sway bar end links before going to all the trouble...carefully re-torque

Thanks, I'll give that a quick look.

That would be their burden to prove that aftermarket wheels had anything to do with (I assume) 100% stock suspension having a noise from part wear or failure. If you're in warranty, and no part in the actual suspension has been modified EVER, I'd be on the phone with VWoA if a dealership blamed suspension noise on aftermarket wheels.

Other parts it came with are 034 rear sway bar and aftermarket endlinks(rear)& 034 dogbone mount. The front looks stock. Springs and struts are stock.

If the car previously had springs, I have no idea.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
This got me thinking...If you were to put compressors on the spring in the wheel well, would you be able to lift the strut out of the knuckle instead of using the 2x4 method?

So first you're going to be trying to finagle the spring compressors onto the spring in the tight wheel well...doesn't sound like fun.

After that....because the strut is gas charged...so there is some pressure on it, even with the spring compressed....so you'd be stuck (still) trying to lift the strut out of the knuckle in a weird way.

Lifting the strut out with the 2x4 method is by far the easiest way of doing it, IMO

I can have a strut out in under 5 minutes that way, start to finish, fairly easily
Then just compress the spring on the floor/bench and finish your swap/job from there

Trying to do this in the fender is a horrible idea, you're not going to save time and you're going to hate it every step of the way
^^^
THIS

DUSlider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16' GTI SE/PP
Seems kinda silly to be messing with suspension with a car under warranty. You don't mention if the suspension is stock, so I'll assume it is.

sutter2k

Passed Driver's Ed
Seems kinda silly to be messing with suspension with a car under warranty. You don't mention if the suspension is stock, so I'll assume it is.

Stock springs/shocks (dcc).

suspension mods: Rear 034 sway bar/end links, 034 dogbone insert, cts subframe inserts.

non suspension: apr tune w/apr intake + awe exhaust.