GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GEICO

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I never liked GEICO. When I was under 24 because they refused to insure every high-performance car I wanted - Avanti R2, Hemi 'Cuda, Corvette. State Farm would. My one-year-old used 1975 'Vette came with a 50% fiberglass surcharge. But insurance cost me only $450 per year then, with ZERO deductible for collision and comp and NO garage. LOL. This was 1976 :).

GEICO might actually be helping this guy because if there were ever a judgment against Melendez in the future, anything over $20,000 would come out his pocket. Of course, GEICO is just looking out for themselves. What happened to the "old" days when insurance companies would fight every suit so they wouldn't set a precedent?

And the last time I looked at an auto insurance company's policies on accidents, I believe it said if they pay out more than x-amount of dollars, you're charged with an accident and will pay at least 10% more in premiums for 3 years. I think the amount was set by state law, at least where I used to live.

Ricky Melendez was on his way to work at a grocery store when a 16-year-old driving a stolen sport utility vehicle ran a red light and smashed into his Toyota Camry at 112 mph.

The driver and two other teenage boys in the SUV died; another was thrown through the windshield but survived. Investigators said unequivocally that Melendez had done nothing wrong.

Despite that, Melendez's car insurance provider, Geico, agreed to pay out a total of $20,000 to the families of the boys on Monday, his lawyer said.

The 29-year-old feels blindsided once again.

"It hurts. I honestly feel like I was involved in another car crash emotionally, just betrayed," said Melendez, who more than two months later still uses crutches and wears a cast on his wrist. "It's very disheartening that a company you pay monthly to pretty much have your back is just stabbing you in the back."

Melendez's lawyer, Mark Roman, said the boys in the SUV were solely to blame for the Aug. 6 crash, but Geico is paying their families anyway. He called the insurance company's decision "appalling" and said Geico does not care about his client's well-being.

"It's a disgusting and shocking development," Roman said. "This poor guy was driving to work at a grocery store when his life was changed forever by horrible criminal acts."

Last edited:

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I'm about to switch, because Geico doesn't like speeders very much and State Farm keeps sending me offers so I figured I mind as well hear what they have to offer. Last time I switched from All State to Geico and it went down like $40 a month.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Damn. I saved about $1000 a year switcHing to Geico.this is making me rethink my choice of insurance provider

armedferret

Ready to race!
well geico's losing one here; they assured me that by paying an extra 60 bucks on top of my deductible, they would guarantee OEM VW fender would be used to replace the one fucked up on wednesday.

sure enough, guess what was on the printed estimate? never-fits capa bullshit.

geico's excuse? "using oem parts would increase the value of the car."

unfuckingbelievable.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So what did the victim of this crime get other than hurt and his car destroyed? Did Geico cut him a check for the life changing events or just his car?

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Maybe there are facts we don't know...otherwise Geico is insane. And yes, we'd like to know how they handled Melendez, their insured guy.

I'm with Geico b/c they gave me a better rate on the GTI than anyone else. Weird thing is back when I had my 5.0, Geico would send me a brochure in the mail about once a week, for months. I finally called them to see if I could get a cheaper rate. The agent tells me "we don't cover V8 Mustangs". So then I say, "In that case, stop sending me these fcking brochures!!" Then I hang up.

How can a company who sponsored the coolest tv commercials (back when we watched tv), like the Caveman, the Under-The-Rock guy, the Camel etc, be this uncool?

armedferret

Ready to race!
Did it not come with OEM parts?

Replacing OEM with OEM adds value?

WTF?

I'd be losing my shit.

I have no fucking idea.

I'm lowering my deductible to either 100 or 250 (depending how much premium goes up) so that in the (hopefully nonexistent) case something happens in the future, I'm out of pocket very little for straight deductible and can cover cost of getting OEM instead.

Unfortunately it turns out Maryland doesn't require OEM riders to be made available, so naturally they'll save wherever they can.

credit to the collision shop (which is a VW certified one), they ended up getting the OEM fender for the same price as the capa POS, so i'm not actually out of pocket for this one.

maybe I should call them and tell them I want a $250k rider for my homeowner's insurance for my firearm collection, as well as $1 million of legal protection in case I'm sued by a dead home invader's family. just to fuck with 'em :p

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Maybe there are facts we don't know...otherwise Geico is insane. And yes, we'd like to know how they handled Melendez, their insured guy.

I'm with Geico b/c they gave me a better rate on the GTI than anyone else. Weird thing is back when I had my 5.0, Geico would send me a brochure in the mail about once a week, for months. I finally called them to see if I could get a cheaper rate. The agent tells me "we don't cover V8 Mustangs". So then I say, "In that case, stop sending me these fcking brochures!!" Then I hang up.

How can a company who sponsored the coolest tv commercials (back when we watched tv), like the Caveman, the Under-The-Rock guy, the Camel etc, be this uncool?

They don't cover v8 mustangs lol wtf

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
So what did the victim of this crime get other than hurt and his car destroyed? Did Geico cut him a check for the life changing events or just his car?

He received (most likely) only $10,000 of his medical bills paid and "loss of job income" benefits. He will owe the balance of his hospital bills. If he's fired he's out of a job a few months from now when he's expected to recover. GEICO won't pay him once he's healed. And only if he had collision will his car be covered. Keep in mind he only had $20,000 worth of liability coverage per incident. That means he probably had $10,000 per person. As you know that's very low coverage. People who don't have more usually have no assets.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
That city is notorious for not doing anything about juveniles stealing cars and getting into accidents. One guess why.