GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When is the REFRESHED 2018 Golf/GTI available stateside?

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
There is an overabundance of 2017 stock still out there. Guarantee their holding these back because of it. Good discounts on the '17's but I'm personally waiting for the '18s to drop.

If that was teh case we would have seen 18 golf r then

Flippy

Ready to race!
Golf R's are vehicles for a much smaller, enthusiast based market. VW isn't going to base their release date on what is essentially a limited quantity vehicle. It's true, not many R's are out there that I've seen but there are tons of 2017 GTI's sitting on lots, at least in my area.

Batman0424

I'm new to the GTI world and looking to get my first with the new 2018 model.

Is it typical for the GTI to be released this late? I'm use to seeing new MYs come out in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batman0424

This delay is unusual. Everyone is trying to figure whats happening with VW.

This does seem very odd. I would have expected we would have, at least, some leaked information, but there doesn't seem to be any information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
This does seem very odd. I would have expected we would have, at least, some leaked information, but there doesn't seem to be any information.

True. Two weeks back VW changed bumper to bumper warranty on most models from 2018. No one knew anything until the press release was made.

Only reason why VW might delay 2018s might be to get rid of 2017s from dealer lot.

Robbb

Passed Driver's Ed
2018 GTI SE no sunroof?

Will I be able to get the 2018 GTI SE without a sunroof? The VW website newsroom says the SE comes standard with a sunroof...I DON'T want the sunroof. The SE has bigger brakes, all LED lights, better soundsystem, VAQ differential, so I want the SE.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Will I be able to get the 2018 GTI SE without a sunroof? The VW website newsroom says the SE comes standard with a sunroof...I DON'T want the sunroof. The SE has bigger brakes, all LED lights, better soundsystem, VAQ differential, so I want the SE.

We're guessing that's the way now. You can get a 17 sport with what you're wanting

Robbb

Passed Driver's Ed
We're guessing that's the way now. You can get a 17 sport with what you're wanting

I want the 2018 with the 6/72 warranty, updated bumpers, LED headlights, bigger LCD, etc. I'll deal with sunroof if I have to, just don't want one for many reasons (hot in Florida, less headroom, need to keep drain holes cleaned, some cause squeaks, I never open them, etc)

Last edited:

ubermick

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
Getting more and more annoyed with VWUSA as the days progress. Seeing lovely 2018 pics being posted from everywhere but here is starting to make my blood boil.

There were about a half dozen 2017s showing up on Autotrader, but contacting the dealers in question, I get the same response from all of them: "Oooh, you JUST missed it, sold it yesterday. Why don't you come down and we can talk about a 2018?"

Which I'd LOVE to do, but when you try and talk to them... they don't have a CLUE what's going on. I suspect @Da Jesus is right, VWUSA is taking as long as possible to ensure that any remaining 2017s (wherever they might be, certainly none 'round these parts!) are cleared out since they'd be effectively worthless once the 2018s arrive.

The best I can get is from one local dealer who wants a $500 deposit to get on the waiting list for a 2018. When asked what that waiting list actually entails - does it mean we get to actually place an order, do we get to pick options, etc. - I was told that all it does is get you in line to take "first crack" at whatever they get assigned. No word back on whether that deposit is refundable if they don't have a car that matches your spec. (I want the indium grey, DSG, DAP... no, I don't want red with manual!)

Flippy

Ready to race!
I want the indium grey, DSG, DAP... no, I don't want red with manual!

Oh man, if they actually bring Indium Grey to the GTI for 2018, I think I'd be hard pressed not to get that color even though I'd be going from a United Grey MK6 to almost the same color. Really dig it on the R.

ubermick

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf R DSG
Oh man, if they actually bring Indium Grey to the GTI for 2018, I think I'd be hard pressed not to get that color even though I'd be going from a United Grey MK6 to almost the same color. Really dig it on the R.

Yep. I was actually leaning towards the 2017 Limestone Grey - I prefer the analog gauges as well as the tactile buttons on the older model, and was hoping for a nice deal one one with the 2018s on the way - but the crap availability took care of that. Now I'm keener on the better warranty and colour. But from what I'm reading and hearing, it'll be April-May before I'll actually own one. Utterly maddening.