GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo seized on VW Golf Mk7 1.6 tdi

Golftdimk7

I'm the owner of a white '13' VW Golf Mk7 1.6tdi. It has been driven 50000miles.
It was purchased from Arnold Clark 13 months ago. I am the second owner. It has been serviced as specified.

Recently the engine management light activated along with the flashing coil light. The Golf went into reduced power mode and blue/white smoke began pouring out the exhaust. I noticed there were traces of oil on the inside of the exhaust pipe.

My local garage changed some glow plugs and attempted best they could, to try and diagnose the problem. But referred me to VW.

VW inspected the Golf and reported back stating the turbo had seized.
They stated a replacement turbo and associated parts would cost £2000 and the labour £950 =£2950.

VW stated as this was an unusual and unexpected fault given the age of the vehicle they were willing to cover the parts cost under good will.
My Golf was NOT under warranty.
The outstanding labour costs of £950 I am still required to pay.

What's your thoughts?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Thoughts? You're lucky they are giving you a free turbo? At least in the US with 50k on, that seems unlikely.

In the US, powertrain is 5 years/60K miles. If the car is a 2013, it was either bought late 2012 or early 2013. So it's less than 5 years old, and also below 60k. If the car had blown its turbo in America, it wouldn't have been a matter of luck whether they replaced the turbo for free.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry to hear your turbo blew. Seems pretty reasonable on the dealers part. If your a DIY sort of guy, you could save yourself a few quid; however, a good condition turbo is going to be 600£.

Golftdimk7

Sorry to hear about your turbo...

Curious about your maintenance schedule and driving habits if you don't mind sharing.

It had a full service a few weeks back and prior to that routine servicing each year.

I drive 28m to work 28m back 4/5 times a week mostly motorway miles. Aside that just kicking around the doors.
Drive slightly above conservative! But don't do anything I would consider unkind to the car

Golftdimk7

In the US, powertrain is 5 years/60K miles. If the car is a 2013, it was either bought late 2012 or early 2013. So it's less than 5 years old, and also below 60k. If the car had blown its turbo in America, it wouldn't have been a matter of luck whether they replaced the turbo for free.

Thank you

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!

That's cool. Coming from MINI/BMW, I was used to a shorter warranty. Guess I was rash in saying he was lucky then.