GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Products to clean yellowing wheels

jayrm14

Passed Driver's Ed
So this is a little off topic regarding VW, but my wife has a Ford Escape, and her wheels are getting some yellowing from the brake dust. I have washed the car, and wheels weekly since we bought it, yet they are still yellowing.

Does anyone have any recommendations or products to remove/prevent the yellowing? I generally wax the car and wheels, bi-yearly.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
So this is a little off topic regarding VW, but my wife has a Ford Escape, and her wheels are getting some yellowing from the brake dust. I have washed the car, and wheels weekly since we bought it, yet they are still yellowing.

Does anyone have any recommendations or products to remove/prevent the yellowing? I generally wax the car and wheels, bi-yearly.
Get a mild wheel brush and a solid wheel cleaner. For wheels that bad, I'd grab my bottle of Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus. Tough stuff for tough wheel contamination. Don't rinse wheel off, hit it with Sonax right off the bat and let it dwell for 2-3 minutes. Then, with a soap bucket and your tools of choice(a gentle brush works best for loosening) wash them as you have always done. I have had to hit some really bad wheels twice before, but eventually the cleaner got the vast majority of the discoloring off.

Some over the counter alternatives to try out if you're not an online shopper is Griots Garage Wheel Cleaner. Bit pricey compared but still fairly effective.

Good luck!

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
I've used Sonax on some pretty poor condition used wheels I bought. I used some elbow grease & a soaked old Microfiber towel with Sonax. I could not believe how well the wheels cleaned up.