GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Accurately reading that stupid dipstick...

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
I'm finding that it's a tad bit easier to read after oil has been in there for ~1k miles and darkens a bit.The only thing I know to do is alter my routine at changes. Carefully measure what comes out, put the same amount back in. Hope that it doesn't leak or consume any for 1k till I can check it.

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Don't have any issues with reading the dip stick on the R

Drop the oil out and put back in never burns a drop of oil

DasTurboWagen

Ready to race!
I was searching for something on this exact topic and found this thread. I can not get an accurate reading on this dipstick cold or at operating temperature. I changed out the factory fill on my Sportwagen this past weekend. I check my oil level every week and using the procedure in the manual, the oil level was just over 3/4 in the hash mark area of the dipstick the day before the change. When I extracted the oil, I got out just about 6.2 Quarts from the engine and filter, and proceeded to fill up again while checking the level and put in just under 6 quarts.

Checked yesterday and cold it shows at the top of the hash mark area and operating temp just above the curved hash mark area or more exactly, in the "B" area shown in the manual. (Picture below) Checking last night and this morning in my garage again, I can't get an accurate reading as its different back to back, cold and hot. It's annoying because even though I put back in less oil than I took out, it's showing I'm right before the overfill area for some reason.

It's over the hash mark area but at least it's still technically not an overfill according to the manual. Lol

Attachments

• 2015-volkswagen-golf-sportwagen-88313-5.jpg
    2015-volkswagen-golf-sportwagen-88313-5.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 19,211

theblueflash

After doing an oil change on my GTD not long ago I've been trying to check the level without any luck. I've prob done a few hundred miles and the oil has darkened up so it's visible on the stick. Problem being the capacity isn't written in the manual so I've been led to believe it's 4.7 litres with a filter change.

I drained the oil and refilled but only filling to 4.1/4.2 litres so as not to overfill. I usually drive the car up to temp and then top up to max as and when necessary. But since my oil/filter change I've not topped up and cannot work out what the level is.

I'm worried i have overfilled it but cant be sure if it's just oil from the tube on the stick.
This is the best pic i can get

What does everyone think?

If it's not crystal clear the only thing I can think of is to drain a small amount out and see if it visibly brings the level down on the dip

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
Found this thread after changing my oil for the first time and having trouble getting a good oil level reading.

The solution - check your oil while your engine is warm. Clear as day.

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
according to what amsoil and other sources you to say, you should only be filling it to 5L and then running for a few seconds to get the oil back into the filter. After a quick run, you add the rest. this keeps the oil from over spilling where the dipstick seats in the engine. I have never seen this personally, but I just looked to check and they no longer say this in the notes section.

So this is more so of a just so you know post.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
according to what amsoil and other sources you to say, you should only be filling it to 5L and then running for a few seconds to get the oil back into the filter. After a quick run, you add the rest. this keeps the oil from over spilling where the dipstick seats in the engine. I have never seen this personally, but I just looked to check and they no longer say this in the notes section.

So this is more so of a just so you know post.

I just put exactly 5.7 L in and start it up. Perfect level on top of the hash mark every time for me. YMMV

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Found this thread after changing my oil for the first time and having trouble getting a good oil level reading.

The solution - check your oil while your engine is warm. Clear as day.

Post pictures. Because that’s what I did in the original post. Definitely not clear as day on mine.

WhiteTigerSE

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, good to see I'm not the only one on here. -- I went to a non-VW mechanic shop and they used all 6 qts of oil. Stupid me forgot to check the oil level until almost a month later! So i check it and one side of my dipstick covers 1/3 of the dipstick. The other side covers all the dimples... right at the bend, meaning its maxed out (100% full). I checked in cold, but I will turn the engine on and run it for 5 minutes.

I think the other side is just collecting oil as i pull it out of the curved tube.