GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fender Audio System - MK7 Golf R

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Weird. Not disputing your experience--how could I, I wasn't there!--but I owned a 2010 Fusion Sport for a couple of years, and I thought the Sony system was pretty good. Certainly better than the after market one I had in the old Focus ST I drove before that car.

Then again, I never ran it full blast I guess.

I'm 23 years old and my life revolves around music. I don't listen to music below 60% volume, period. I need loud, and I need quality. The ford wasn't so bad quality wise, but it was NOT loud, and the speakers still blew.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I had a custom headunit, focal mids/highs, fosgate sub and amps in my 04.5 GLI that I then moved to my 11 TDI. I found no reason to install it in the R as the Fender is good enough.

Same here. I had a full Focal system in my Protege 5 many moons ago with Head unit, amps, tweeters, drivers etc and as much as I hate to say it, I didn't appreciate it. Meaning, I'm not an audiophile nor does my hearing permit me to be critical about what I am hearing through my speakers when listening to a system as good as the Fender vs a full Focal setup. Money better spent else where for me. That said, I understand the need for some to spend their money on a good stern system. Much like some of us like to spend money on destroying our clutches.:D

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Shouldn't you really be listening to the motor instead? lol

Music is made to please your ears and brain, these motors are made to move a 3000lb machine + humans efficiently and with speed. I'll take music over the 4 cylinder exhaust note any day

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
I'm 23 years old and my life revolves around music. I don't listen to music below 60% volume, period. I need loud, and I need quality. The ford wasn't so bad quality wise, but it was NOT loud, and the speakers still blew.

You're gonna end up old and deaf like me, fair warning. I spent my first 10 years driving with a loud system and windows always down. My left ear sucks, and my right ear isn't much better. Tinitus is a bitch.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
You're gonna end up old and deaf like me, fair warning. I spent my first 10 years driving with a loud system and windows always down. My left ear sucks, and my right ear isn't much better. Tinitus is a bitch.

Noted. Will i actually change my habits? Unlikely. But i do appreciate the wisdom.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Bringing a thread back from the dead - does anyone know if there's a difference in the Fender system in the 2015 GTI vs the 2015 R? I just traded in my GTI which had the Fender system and it sounded decent enough that I didn't want to mess with changing anything.

I assumed the 2015 R I traded for, with the Fender system, would sound exactly the same. It doesn't. It sucks. The front components sound worse than the rear components! The highs/treble are not crisp, and the vocals sound terrible, terrible. Fuzzy, muddy, dull.

And oddly enough, I had to tune the Bass-Mid-Treble much differently than the GTI to get it to sound even decent. Which really strikes me as odd if they're the same unit from the GTI to the R. Less bass by 4 notches, less mid by 2-3 notches, and more treble by 4-5. Makes no sense.

I'm wondering if the fronts were blown and replaced by cheap base speakers or something. It's really disappointing. Does anyone know what the speakers look like? I've peeked through the grills and I think the front door speakers look different from the rear.

Last edited:

kornsined

Go Kart Newbie
I cut the mid quite a bit (-5) to get the sound I liked. I always thought all fender systems where the same.

mbradlawrence

I have done 2 full audio system upgrades with dsp and high end speakers. It’s a hobby and I love it and willmost likely keep doing so. However, until I went to these extremes, I had no idea of the difference that can be achieved nor of terms like stage width and imaging. All that said, the fender systems sounds very good and can be improved with a simple fix, deaden the doors. What most people think is lack of bass is usually lack of midbass punch. Deadening doors has a huge effect on this.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Bringing a thread back from the dead - does anyone know if there's a difference in the Fender system in the 2015 GTI vs the 2015 R? I just traded in my GTI which had the Fender system and it sounded decent enough that I didn't want to mess with changing anything.

I assumed the 2015 R I traded for, with the Fender system, would sound exactly the same. It doesn't. It sucks. The front components sound worse than the rear components! The highs/treble are not crisp, and the vocals sound terrible, terrible. Fuzzy, muddy, dull.

And oddly enough, I had to tune the Bass-Mid-Treble much differently than the GTI to get it to sound even decent. Which really strikes me as odd if they're the same unit from the GTI to the R. Less bass by 4 notches, less mid by 2-3 notches, and more treble by 4-5. Makes no sense.

I'm wondering if the fronts were blown and replaced by cheap base speakers or something. It's really disappointing. Does anyone know what the speakers look like? I've peeked through the grills and I think the front door speakers look different from the rear.

FYI, I found the problem. The previous owner (clueless) had replaced the stock tweeters with aftermarket Alpines. I assume they were 4ohm, which combined with the stock woofers in the doors were too much for the stock amps. That's why it sounded terrible! I replaced both the woofers and tweeters with a set of gently used Fenders components from a dude on here and I'm now super happy :). Both the GTI and R with Fender systems sound the same.

Last edited:

radiohead1075

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Compared to my wife’s 2015 Audi with the upgraded Dynaudio, I prefer the Fender system in my R. Granted, I haven’t spent much time in her car to make any adjustments to the settings to see if that improves things.