GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Android Auto..do you use it? What bugs have you found

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Anyone elses navigation volume really soft? Can't figure out how to turn mine up.

If you are using Google nav:

Disconnect the phone. Access Google nav directly from your phone, go into settings, you'll find volume in there. I run mine at max. Reconnect to your car, run AA and navigate. Volume will be much better.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Just got some new phone updates (Pandora included) and freaking hell, why can't the software people leave well enough alone? My Pandora pauses on each song 20 seconds into the song. Pushing play resumes it. I swear, every update they break more than they fix.

Probably my biggest gripe of all about modern tech, nothing stopping developers from ruining your experience, or worse, bricking your phone when "it's time to buy a new one"

What happens when our beloved 2016 cars are 20 years old? Who is gonna make sure our outdated tech works 20 years down the road?

italynstylion

Ready to race!
If you are using Google nav:

Disconnect the phone. Access Google nav directly from your phone, go into settings, you'll find volume in there. I run mine at max. Reconnect to your car, run AA and navigate. Volume will be much better.
Thanks. Makes sense. I knew about that way but figured there was something specific to AA as well.

Just got some new phone updates (Pandora included) and freaking hell, why can't the software people leave well enough alone? My Pandora pauses on each song 20 seconds into the song. Pushing play resumes it. I swear, every update they break more than they fix.

Probably my biggest gripe of all about modern tech, nothing stopping developers from ruining your experience, or worse, bricking your phone when "it's time to buy a new one"

What happens when our beloved 2016 cars are 20 years old? Who is gonna make sure our outdated tech works 20 years down the road?
I feel your pain. But you do know you can set things to NOT update, right? There are definitely ways to roll back to previous versions.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
I feel your pain. But you do know you can set things to NOT update, right? There are definitely ways to roll back to previous versions.

I ave an older Android 2.2 device that I tried to use for as long as possible. I use it for surfing web, Pandora and Youtube. After a while, apps began disappearing from the phone (updates stopped coming a long time ago) and now I can only surf the web with it. Both Youtube and Pandora stopped working. Streaming services just aren't compatible with it anymore. Forced obsolescence I guess.

italynstylion

Ready to race!
I ave an older Android 2.2 device that I tried to use for as long as possible. I use it for surfing web, Pandora and Youtube. After a while, apps began disappearing from the phone (updates stopped coming a long time ago) and now I can only surf the web with it. Both Youtube and Pandora stopped working. Streaming services just aren't compatible with it anymore. Forced obsolescence I guess.

Android 2.2? Yeah....it's time to move on. If you need android help let me know. I'm a perpetual ROM flasher so I know the system well.

Also, I tried what was suggested above for the nav voice and it didn't work. However, I did figure out there are separate volume controls for both the music AND the nav/google voice. So when she is speaking directions during navigation you need to turn up the volume on the steering wheel and it makes it louder. Not sure why I didn't think about that before.

N10S

Ready to race!
Reading through this thread confirms I wasn't alone in dealing with Android auto performance issues. I was interfacing with a Samsung Note 4 which is really a nice phone. Initially when I was still on lollipop, Android auto was super buggy and would lock up and sometimes cause the infotainment unit to reboot. It was constantly requesting to load my contacts every time, and initially it was bad enough that I just faded back to my SD card and relying on BT for my phone access which worked fine.

Later after several software updates at which point I was running 6.01 marshmallow, Android auto started to seem like it was functioning better. In particular google maps seemed to run well. I never was able to get Google Now to function via the steering wheel controls though, and although I used Android Auto more often I was never happy with the results when compared to just using my Note 4 via BT.

A couple of weeks ago I jumped back into an IPhone 7 plus and when I tried apple CarPlay found it to be very smooth with no glitches, and the Siri function works great. I had read comparisons of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay with Android auto getting the nod. Well for me it was a totally opposite experience. I wonder if the Android auto issues I had were related to buggy code, or if it's specific to the phone being used, or perhaps the VW infotainment interoperability with Android auto and specific phones is to blame? Maybe it's a combination of those issues but the bottom line is it never worked in a seamless fashion for me but fortunately CarPlay does. I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences moving from or to Android auto in their Gti?

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Sooooooooo, I recently started to have problems with streaming music services. Namely Spotify, Pandora, and even Google music.

I get errors like "service not available right now". Yet, it works fine through Bluetooth if I run those services directly from my phone.

It started doing this recently and has really started to get much worse after I updated my Oneplus 3 to android 7.

Anyone with a nexus device have this issue?