GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Break in period & putting mods on New Golf R

Russooo

Ready to race!
Sorry for blowing up this feed tonight just want to do everything right when I purchase my new car within the next couple weeks , So usually they say "break in" period for a new car is first 1,000 miles .. Did you all follow that or is it okay too get on it a bit after say like 500/600 miles or even earlier because I just find it hard not to wanna put my foot to the floor once I drive off the lot "being sarcastic" wouldn't do that but still 1,000 miles is long time to drive like a grandma .. And does anyone recommend oil change around that time instead of the usual 3,000 miles because of small metal fragments in oil ? Also when it comes to mods on the car should I wait to put the Jb4 tune and others bolt ons until the 1,000 period is up .. Just some honest feedback of what you guys did would be cool !

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
Don't worry about putt putting. Just don't redline it constantly. You also need to vary your engine speed for the first 1000 miles. No cruise control. Just have fun with it, but don't abuse it. I'm sure you'll know where to draw the line.

There also will be others that say "screw the break in period" and "drive it like you stole it". They aren't wrong. The car can handle it fine. I'm just telling you what the dealers generally say when people roll this car off the lot.

md2185

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry for blowing up this feed tonight just want to do everything right when I purchase my new car within the next couple weeks , So usually they say "break in" period for a new car is first 1,000 miles .. Did you all follow that or is it okay too get on it a bit after say like 500/600 miles or even earlier because I just find it hard not to wanna put my foot to the floor once I drive off the lot "being sarcastic" wouldn't do that but still 1,000 miles is long time to drive like a grandma .. And does anyone recommend oil change around that time instead of the usual 3,000 miles because of small metal fragments in oil ? Also when it comes to mods on the car should I wait to put the Jb4 tune and others bolt ons until the 1,000 period is up .. Just some honest feedback of what you guys did would be cool !

The engine comes already broken in. It is however the rest of the car that needs to be broken in right. You need to drive it with care for the first 500 miles followed by a gradual acceleration and slow downs. The Rs manual has it written well.

Do not do anything to it until after 1000 miles. Absolutely nothing. Put the best fuel Chevron or Shell and just enjoy it.

I felt mine was totally broken in after 1400 miles or so. Youll feel it when it becomes loose and free.

I Changed the oil at 1000 miles. Some people say its nonsense but I tend to disagree. If you were to look at the oil pan where you drained the oil, it will have a glitter like fragments at the bottom. Imagine doing WOT and the filter doesnt get it all and whines up messing other parts like the turbo.

The engine comes already broken in.
Who exactly should have broken in the engine if VW/Audi didn't?
The engine isn't even running a single time on fuel (!!!) until the
completed car is leaving the facility. All testing happens 'dry' -
without any fuel.
If there should no break in be necessary, why is the oil pump of
any EA888 3G running in its high-pressure mode only for the very
1st 1000 km?
Hearsay? Read the Volkswagen and Audi SSPs on the GTI and S3
(= R) engines. Quite interesing read.

Some will now guess why I said 'don't ask'. There's never been
a single discussion on 'break in' on an automotive forum, which
hasn't been highly controversal. I couldn't be any different.

;)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The engine comes already broken in. It is however the rest of the car that needs to be broken in right. You need to drive it with care for the first 500 miles followed by a gradual acceleration and slow downs. The Rs manual has it written well.

Do not do anything to it until after 1000 miles. Absolutely nothing. Put the best fuel Chevron or Shell and just enjoy it.

I felt mine was totally broken in after 1400 miles or so. Youll feel it when it becomes loose and free.

I Changed the oil at 1000 miles. Some people say its nonsense but I tend to disagree. If you were to look at the oil pan where you drained the oil, it will have a glitter like fragments at the bottom. Imagine doing WOT and the filter doesnt get it all and whines up messing other parts like the turbo.

Filters are rated in microns. If you can see it the filter will catch it.

Last edited:

md2185

Passed Driver's Ed
You you obviously got your great "knowledge" from hearsay, thank you. ;)

Actually no engine goes into a car that without being properly vented and run at full capacity. I saw how GM process their engines. They run them for at least 15min long performing dyno runs and testing them to insure everything is in order before even putting them in cars. So If GM does this then the Germans definitely do it. And as you know, no one beats the Germans when in comes to their engineering prowess reputation.

There are countless articles and stories out there. Im sure you didnt beat on your car either from the get go.

Heres another link I just stumbled on:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...-vw-golf-need-to-be-broken-in/article7875140/

Don't get me wrong, but again, you're wrong. I told what's actually happening at
VW/Audi. Honestly, I had a couple of visits at several Volkswagen and Audi plants,
I use to talk to their engineers frequently. GM doesn't matter, we're talking about
Audi engines (Audi do the EA888 3G) here. The only testings before leaving the
facility happen both statically and driven by an electric motor without use of fuel.
For all Euro manufacture 2.0T (GTI and all Golf R) that "dry" testing happens at
Audi's plant in Hungary (Györ), where all EA888 are made, while all 4WD Golfs (R)
are assembled in Wolfsburg. No conventional dyno runs, no run-in.

Did you even know about the increased oil pressure during run-in? ;)

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Absolutely right, Kevin, I know that. I was talking about German built Golf
Rs, which I think very most certainly will get Hungarian built engines only.

For all Euro manufacture 2.0T (GTI and all Golf R) that "dry" testing happens at
Audi's plant in Hungary (Györ), where all EA888 (let me add: for these cars) are made, while all 4WD Golfs (R)
are assembled in Wolfsburg.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
You need to remember engines arr not just thrown together like they were 20 years ago. Tolerances are much tighter now and break in period is not needed like on the old cars as everything fits properly to start with. You can drive the car normal from day one and never have any problems.

When an engine is run in the factory there is no load on it. The issues come when someone doesn't let the oil get up to temperature and put load on the engine causing premature wear of bearings, rinds, barrels etc. 99% of the time if their is a fault with the engine it will show up in the first thousand miles or so.