GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R cup holder retrofit

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Has anyone done this. I want to have the sliding cover for the cup holders that the Golf R comes with. Has anyone done this to their GTI? I can get the part form VW but I'm wondering if it will work with the conventional hand break.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
I was JUST looking at this over the past week.

There are some issues with it. Looking at the GTI layout, the cup holders are placed further back than the R, or the Euro GTIs. This gives space for the lid to roll back, and the handle to sit.

In order to get the R cup holder to fit, it appears that you will need to cut out the cigarette lighter and card holder thing that sits in front of our current GTI cup holders.

This in itself isn't a big deal for me, because I never use them. The issue is that this still doesn't guarantee that the cup holder will fit. However, I'm doing some more investigating and trying to see if it will work.

I've found some online from non-OEM sources. May give it a shot in a month or so.

http://orientalparts.com/Euro-Cup-Holder-Black-Golf-MK7-P5468829.aspx

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
The R and Euro golfs have a different style center console altogether. It's straight waterfall down. Mexican made golfs wrap around the gear lever

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I was under the impression the cup holder portion of the console was a separate 'pop' in piece all together. If so can't we just replace that piece and leave everything else as is...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Oriental parts doesn't suggest Golf R only. Slipperywhenwet posted the link, seems it's a 'plug N play' piece. Take ours out and put R one in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
It's a plug and play piece for the European console. Buy it and find out if you believe it works. You will definitely need to remove the 12v plug and those weird little slot pieces. It looks like they pop out.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Update.

My dealer has a 6MT Golf R arriving soon. I've told them to let me know when it arrives as I may trade my car in on it. Anyway, I'll have a look to see what the cup holder looks like and post my findings here.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Wow. You really want that cup holder cover don't you?

It's the obssesive cumpolsive side of me that wants it. :D I don't like how the cup holders in the GTI are left open, it looks unfinished to me and I prefer to have it covered when not using it.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I was JUST looking at this over the past week.

There are some issues with it. Looking at the GTI layout, the cup holders are placed further back than the R, or the Euro GTIs. This gives space for the lid to roll back, and the handle to sit.

In order to get the R cup holder to fit, it appears that you will need to cut out the cigarette lighter and card holder thing that sits in front of our current GTI cup holders.

This in itself isn't a big deal for me, because I never use them. The issue is that this still doesn't guarantee that the cup holder will fit. However, I'm doing some more investigating and trying to see if it will work.

I've found some online from non-OEM sources. May give it a shot in a month or so.

http://orientalparts.com/Euro-Cup-Holder-Black-Golf-MK7-P5468829.aspx

That actually looks like it might fit it you remove the cigarette lighter and card/hange holders

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
That actually looks like it might fit it you remove the cigarette lighter and card/hange holders

That's my thought too.

I just installed the Xuji steering wheel wrap, and have the Diesel Geek short shifter on the way, so I'm going to put this mod off until Feb, but, I'll put my results...if I don't fuck it all up.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Depth could be an issue though. Our cup holder sit down lower. As stated above, the console waterfalls down after the shifter. The Euro console continues on the same plane.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
If the Golf R with 6MT has the same cup holder as the DSG R AND has the manual parking brake like the 6MT GTI has, then we should be good to go. I'm thinking all R models have the electronic parking brake though, 6MT and DSG alike. If so, that might be the stick in the spokes.