GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to - Install a Dash Cam and Wire it to Power on with the Car

euroglx

Hello,

Just wanted to say thank you for this write up. I was able to wire my dash cam that i had on my previous vehicle to my Sportwagen.

I did a few mistakes though, but eventually got it setup correctly.

First mistake was I didn't use the 12V adapter at first (quickly figured out that the camera won't work without it, doh!), and second mistake was I mounted the dash cam behind the rear view mirror but to the left hand side, hence blocking the ambient light sensor on the back of the mirror (Auto Dimming Mirror). It wasn't so bad, but during dawn/dusk it would get confused. So I moved it to the right, and all is well.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Just wanted to say thanks for your guide. I did mine today and it went well, roughly following the same procedure.

I tweaked this a bit and I'm going to share a link to my thread here because I think there are some important safety considerations to be read in there. http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=378434#post378434

DSA1

Hello,

Just wanted to say thank you for this write up. I was able to wire my dash cam that i had on my previous vehicle to my Sportwagen.

I did a few mistakes though, but eventually got it setup correctly.

First mistake was I didn't use the 12V adapter at first (quickly figured out that the camera won't work without it, doh!), and second mistake was I mounted the dash cam behind the rear view mirror but to the left hand side, hence blocking the ambient light sensor on the back of the mirror (Auto Dimming Mirror). It wasn't so bad, but during dawn/dusk it would get confused. So I moved it to the right, and all is well.

Thanks again.

Anyone know whether it's ok to 3M-tape-mount a dash cam above and to the left of the rear view mirror on this black mesh area of the wind shield...is this just anti-glare/shade, or is it antenna-related?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 2,739
Last edited:

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Anyone know whether it's ok to 3M-tape-mount a dash cam above and to the left of the rear view mirror, on the black mesh (antenna?) area of the wind shield, or will this cause interference?

That's where I have mine, almost 2 years with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
Just wanted to say THANK YOU for this wonderful write up!

Its really hard to find good detailed info on a solid dashcam install. There's plenty of videos of people pointing to their dashcam, pointing to cable routes and wish you luck.

I think the hardwiring bit took me about 30 min, but I could do it much quicker now that I have experience.

SomethingNew71

TDI Pro
Car(s)
2009 JSW TDI
Just wanted to say THANK YOU for this wonderful write up!

Its really hard to find good detailed info on a solid dashcam install. There's plenty of videos of people pointing to their dashcam, pointing to cable routes and wish you luck.

I think the hardwiring bit took me about 30 min, but I could do it much quicker now that I have experience.

Very glad you found it helpful. Those reasons were exactly why I did this. Haha

slow12s

Ready to race!
Thank you very much for this writeup...I just installed mine last night and used a mix of your guide with ReadTheBook's guide as well and everything went great, just need to hide that last wire that you can see when the drivers door is open...thanks again, very helpful

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Thank you very much for this writeup...I just installed mine last night and used a mix of your guide with ReadTheBook's guide as well and everything went great, just need to hide that last wire that you can see when the drivers door is open...thanks again, very helpful

Haha I totally forgot that I posted a pic on where to run that wire on this thread, I hope it helps, once you
Route it the whole cable will go in so that you can press the weatherstrip back in

slow12s

Ready to race!
Haha I totally forgot that I posted a pic on where to run that wire on this thread, I hope it helps, once you
Route it the whole cable will go in so that you can press the weatherstrip back in

nice, thanks for the pic...does the weather stripping need to be removed all the way up like you did or can i pull it off in just 1 area that I need to hide the wire? also what's the easiest way to remove the weather stripping? I was pulling on it a bit last night during the install, but didn't have any luck

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
nice, thanks for the pic...does the weather stripping need to be removed all the way up like you did or can i pull it off in just 1 area that I need to hide the wire? also what's the easiest way to remove the weather stripping? I was pulling on it a bit last night during the install, but didn't have any luck

I removed mine twice from where the A pillar was accessed to run my radar detector and later my dashcam, If it is to hard to remove try it from further up, take note on how it is seated before removing or pulling, there is a lip that needs to go back the same way on the rubber where it touches the fabric, it's very simple, it is in there tight just pull harder you won't brake anything

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Is there a good ground in the fuse box? I'm just putting an outlet on the fuse box door for one of my cameras and I need a convenient ground right in there rather than off to the side under that other hatch

Also, I found these documents which together show what each fuse is (can't vouch for accuracy)
http://i.imgur.com/LEbB2AF.jpg
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-0IaQ-frKqPeWhDTTVNQkhtdUU/view

Check the link in my sig. Best ground is right next to the fuse box, big bolt.