GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PP VAQ Differential

ashiun

Ready to race!
As I understand it (which is to say not very well) the PP differential is not an actual mechanical diff, but rather a clutch-pack controlled differential. Am I correct in assuming that this clutch-operated differential (as opposed to the XDS brake-based differential) actually uses the very same clutch used for regular driving and therefore introduces more wear and tear?

Or am I completely off? Pls somebody educate me.

Am I correct in assuming that this clutch-operated differential (as opposed to the XDS brake-based differential) actually uses the very same clutch used for regular driving and therefore introduces more wear and tear?
No, there's a dedicated multi-plate clutch pack. It's the exact
same part that is used on the 4motion models to shift torque to
the rear axle. Basically this multi-plate clutch system 'connects'
both front wheels to a variable degree.
A clutch-pack controlled differential actually is a mechanical diff.
There couldn't be any more 'mechanical' in it. Main difference is,
that it's electronically controlled.
Don't get me wrong, but I explained the most prominent details
so often and provided several pictures of the internals and some
helpful links, you will easily find them. So let's get not too deep
into detail here. Btw, Borg-Warner calls it 'FXD'.

Last edited:

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Exactly as he said. It's mechanical and just electronically controlled. It's a mechanical diff on crack and actually has much better control than a standard mechanical diff.

xl1200r

Ready to race!
Also, being a multiplate wet design, wear will happen much slower and should last a very long time before needing any attention.

The clutch for the transmission is between the engine and trans. The VAQ unit is on the trans output.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Of course, don't take the above three posts to mean that you won't get push-back from somebody who plunked down a bit of scratch on a mechanically-controlled diff. They want to be able to brag, so don't harsh on their mellow. :p