GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Center console

GrayR

Passed Driver's Ed
Its the weirdest thing... I've test driven 4 new R's over the past 3 or 4 months and on 3 of them the center console wouldn't open. But on the last one while the salesguy was showing me things while we sat inside..., he pulled the center console open. Wtf? I asked him if anyone did any adjustments to the console and he gave me a weird look and said "no, they'd only had the car a week and why would anyone do that?. I explained to him that from the factory they don't open. He just smiled and said, well this one does and pulled it open again...

Any ideas...?

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
Wrong mechanism met the car on the assembly line, just like the occasional person gets the rear trim piece needed to fit the spare tire in the well. VW = Varies Widely

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
its the same ratcheting mechanism that they "fix" on port ...

zipties and 10 mins of your time and done. If you want it to ratched, its a $200+ proposition (used) and new is $350 from e-acca.com

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
its the same ratcheting mechanism that they "fix" on port ...

zipties and 10 mins of your time and done. If you want it to ratched, its a $200+ proposition (used) and new is $350 from e-acca.com

No it's not. I just paid $264 shipped for mine from Cars245.

Brand new, nicely packaged, only took like two weeks to get here.

GrayR

Passed Driver's Ed
What part exactly are you guys talking about that can be ordered? It allows the console to open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KlipZ

Ready to race!
just curious, why do the US R's have a locked center console?

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
What part exactly are you guys talking about that can be ordered? It allows the console to open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can purchase a complete new armrest assembly, the leather + ratcheting mechanism.

Then you just remove the rear AC covers, a duct, bend two metal tabs and pull up to remove the existing armrest. The new one slides right into place.

https://cars245.com/en/item/audi-volkswagen-5G0864207FCMR-armrest/

I absolutely hate this guy's video (poor angle, poor explanation, etc) but you get the general idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jVLxZK1rIM