GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Plus: More Power, with a Limited Powertrain Warranty

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
And this "special" APR dealer-only thing and installation at time of new car purchase requirement is B.S. Where does APR find their marketing people?

Fed, it's not B.S. It's actually legit and took a tremendous amount of work just to get to this point. This isn't something easily accomplished.

We're giving customers a legit warranty, that's underwritten by a warranty company. It's not "self insured" like some companies do, and you wouldn't want it to be either. Recently there was another company in our industry that was doing that. When they went belly up, everyone lost their warranty. If we disappeared tomorrow, everyone would retain their warranty.

Is it BS because it's not what you want? That's fine. It's not for you. Not everything we have to sell has to be for everyone. Not everything you want is what others want. Likewise, not everything others want is what you want. It's all about choices - We have products for enthusiasts, and we have products for everyone else.

Mr Golf R

Ready to race!
Well put.

Still enjoying my stage 1 2017 Golf R..... some people don't have a clue as what it's like to run a legitimate business that's in five or six different countries besides the United States.... thank you for everything you do.

Russooo

Ready to race!
Just got off phone with Linden Vw , who is running the pilot program .. Total cost for the apr stage 1 tune will be $1,500 on top of what you pay for car but car will be fully covered by manufacting warranty .. Honestly doesn't sound to bad to me , especially since your buying 40k plus new car and don't have to worry about voiding warranty .. Little about me been shopping around for 2017 golf r looking to make purchase in early March once this winter is over ! Not buying new vechile to fuck it up in the salt/snow ... I gotten a couple dealers down to around 40,500 for MSRP before taxes and dealership fees FOR THE Automatic .. Has anyone else gotten cheaper ?

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
First, it says something that APR could only manage to add 28 HP and still get Warrantech to cover it. Obviously Warrantech felt that a full Stage 1 tune would put enough stress on the engine that it wouldn't be cost effective to insure--something everyone thinking of a Stage 1 or 2 tune might want to consider if powertrain longevity is important.

Second, will Warrantech also be warrantying the transmission and the rest of the AWD system? My guess is that if any of those systems fail due to what appears to be added mechanical stresses, VW might just walk away from such claims, as they are legally able to do so if there's reason to believe that the added power contributed to the parts failure, just as they might with a documented full aftermarket tune.

Personally, I think going for a JB1 makes a lot more sense if a tangible boost in power, without a loss of warranty (provide you unplug it before each trip to the dealer), is what you're after.

Russooo

Ready to race!
So I'm confused it says the APR plus tune upgrades your stock golf r from 292 hp to 320 Hp and 320 ft torque ! But if you get the stage 1 apr tune for $799 it says on website that it boost you to an average of 357-381 HP & 349-392 Ft torque depending on gas used etc .. So in Just wondering why such difference between the 2 of them ???

Okay just read post before mine , I guess they realized doing the full Apr stage 1 tune would not be smart to be covered under warranty

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
First, it says something that APR could only manage to add 28 HP and still get Warrantech to cover it. Obviously Warrantech felt that a full Stage 1 tune would put enough stress on the engine that it wouldn't be cost effective to insure--something everyone thinking of a Stage 1 or 2 tune might want to consider if powertrain longevity is important.

The choice was ours, and we chose to start conservatively. We designed the tune to work with lower octane fuel, factory maintenance schedules, and with a bunch of extra safety built in for the non-car guy who will not take care of his car like others. On FWD cars, we considered tire life. On AWD cars, we considered manual clutch life. And on all models, we considered what most non enthusiasts would want -- a flat and linear torque curve.

Second, will Warrantech also be warrantying the transmission and the rest of the AWD system? My guess is that if any of those systems fail due to what appears to be added mechanical stresses, VW might just walk away from such claims, as they are legally able to do so if there's reason to believe that the added power contributed to the parts failure, just as they might with a documented full aftermarket tune.

The warranty covers the powertrain. So, if your transmission explodes at no fault to you, it's covered.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Maybe this APR Plus (note: it is not a Stage 1) is priced too high for what some people think it is worth, myself included, but that's a personal preference. I think the really big upside here is that it is a first step towards getting aftermarket tunes direct from a dealer with a warranty.
This one doesn't offer the cost/benefit for me to shell out any extra $$, but I really like the direction this takes.

Rafal

Ready to race!
This is the kind of nonsense that only venture capitalists can come up with to quickly broaden the market, appear to be doing something big, 6 months before an IPO.
Then it all ends in tears for "mum and dad" investors when this stupid idea fails spectacularly and stock price halves in 12 months.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Two new dealer:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Not much to say or figure, unless some are reading too far into it. The factory doesn't support aftermarket parts. If they find them, they could void your warranty. Uninstalling / hiding the parts, and attempting to get warranty work doesn't mean the factory suddenly supported the parts.

Where did I ever say the factory supported the parts? I call fake news.

Of course you're going to denigrate the JB4. They cost less, make as much or more power, cannot be detected once removed, and are able to be resold for a healthy percentage of the original purchase price. The Superfecta of tunes.

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Any chance for any dealers close to Pittsburgh, PA?

Sendell VW
Day VW
Day Apollo VW
Cochran VW
Hilcrest VW
3 Rivers VW

We're adding new dealers each week, and have many queued up! Tell them you're interested, and if they are, have them contact aprplus@goapr.com

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Fed, it's not B.S. It's actually legit and took a tremendous amount of work just to get to this point. This isn't something easily accomplished.

We're giving customers a legit warranty, that's underwritten by a warranty company. It's not "self insured" like some companies do, and you wouldn't want it to be either. Recently there was another company in our industry that was doing that. When they went belly up, everyone lost their warranty. If we disappeared tomorrow, everyone would retain their warranty.

Is it BS because it's not what you want? That's fine. It's not for you. Not everything we have to sell has to be for everyone. Not everything you want is what others want. Likewise, not everything others want is what you want. It's all about choices - We have products for enthusiasts, and we have products for everyone else.

Yep, there are plenty of owners who want to spend $1,750 for this tune. Why don't you use the gross numbers you dynoed with your stock R? it was 294 or 296 HP and 305 ft. lbs. as I recall. That's a gain of only 24-26 HP and 15 foot lbs. You're right, spending over $100 per ft. lb. is not for me, warranty notwithstanding.

And I did like you tunes on my previous GTI's. Well, except on my 2002, because I needed to get it reflashed with an update so it wouldn't stall every time I started the car cold. I needed to drive 200 miles back to the shop and pay for installation a second time to have it start correctly. But this was before dealer equipment could easily detect tunes. I want to keep my warranty, so no more flash tunes for me from any tuner. Doesn't mean I cannot comment. I had your tunes for over 15 years, more than many here.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI

O’Steen Volkswagen is now an official APR Plus dealer! APR Plus is performance engine software for new Volkswagen vehicles. It is available directly from Volkswagen dealerships, can be financed within the purchase of the vehicle, and includes an APR Plus 5-year/60,000-mile limited powertrain warranty with roadside assistance. Read More.