GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newb question: Will manual transmission limit power mods?

vwman

Go Kart Champion
I think there is a bit of confusion going on here.

The OP is asking about a Golf R (MK7), which with DSG, has a 6 speed DSG box not the different 7 Speed DSG box used on other models.

The 6 speed DSG definitely need flushing at 40K miles as said.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
On the MK6 platform, the clutch on the manual transmissions was the weakest link when adding power. It was almost guaranteed after tuning that the clutch would have to be replaced eventually with a noisy, harsher engagement racing clutch. The DSG's were known to hold over 400 whp without any issues. I still haven't heard any word saying that the MK7 clutches are any stronger than the old ones, which on top of being weak, had serious quality control issues.

GTITX1

Ready to race!
What I can tell you is that with DSG you are unlikely to run into any issues with stage 1 or 2. I don't recall anyone having issues even when they went K04 either.

GTI.

E
Car(s)
07 GTI
we can assume that the clutch on the R will be stronger than the one on the GTI, though, right?

md2185

Passed Driver's Ed
Manual vs DSG.
Both are great and both are costly!

Heres my take.
Ive driven both before I choose DSG.
Fair assessment:
The Manual is as great as any other high performance car out there. It has short gear ratios plain and simple. The clutch felt light, similar to the the rest of the VW stock clutches. Easy to use and fun!
*If I were to get manual, the most ill do is a JB1 and maybe a cai THATS IT on a stock clutch.
If intense power upgrades:like stg 2, etc. Look for an updated performance clutch replacement asap.

I choose DSG:
Power. Handles stg 2 without any fusses. Doesnt feel stressed either. Dare to say butter smooth?

Downside: Have to change the dsg oil between 30-40K miles plus the haldex for both versions. If there is alot of drag races and hard pulls 30K for sure.

Clutch pack on the dsg might go around the 100K. Some have never experience the clutchpack going.
PS: It isnt a good feeling either.

Advantages: Easy in traffic, Insane shifting speeds like the PDK, smooth, handles power like no other.

All boils down to preferences. Both require $$ is what we dont like to hear!

Last edited:

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie

wlfpck

Ready to race!
I would look at it this way. Lets say you do a DSG flush every 30-40lk miles. Thats going to amount to over $1k over 100,000 miles.

So if you like manual, go with the manual. Sure you may have to replace the clutch with a stronger one at some point, but maintenance wise, it will be a wash with the DSG, and likely long term far less issues / fixing costs vs the DSG

*note, I am a DSG driver

The flush should be around $400 if not cheaper. Prices for this service have dropped significantly as the MK5 and MK6 have used the same 02E DSG. Even back with the MK5 and Mk6, it has never cost over $1K. If a shop quoted you at $1K+ they're trying to pull one over on you.

I see no reason to flush the DSG, this version i believe has dry cluches, so only gears are being lubricated by the oil in the gearbox. Only nessesary to change the oil every 3-5 year or so, just like a manual.

But for tuning i think a manual would be better, the DSG is programmed to work with the stock powerband of the engine. When tuning the engine you change that and the DSG changes gears at the "wrong" (not optimal rpm) time and gets less efficent.

It is easier to put a uprated clutch on a manual than living with a DSG changing gears at the wrong time.

Just my tougths on the topic. :)

Liland

The DSG found in the Golf R and the GTI is the 02E. This is a 6 speed WET Dual Clutch Transmission.

Transmission flush is recommended at some point.

As for the shift points, if you're driving the car hard, it should be placed in S-mode or in Manual mode. Drive mode is meant for smoothness and daily driving. S-mode will hold each gear longer and is biased to use a lower gear. Manual mode is exactly as it sounds.

Last edited: