GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Special tools needed

rfc89747

Ready to race!
I've been planning my GTI purchase for a while now, and I'm running out of things to search for on this forum hahaha. That being said the other day my friend said "VW huh, plan to be buying all kinds of weird specialty tools". I understand it's a European car, but I didn't get the impression that I would need more than a torx socket set, and a triple square socket set as far as "weird" tools went. Any other unique tools required for normal maintenance, and modifications (I plan on all of the standard bolt ons/tunes at some point)?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
The only things I can think of are for removing the front struts. You'll need a strut spreader tool (or get crafty with a chisel like I did). Also, if you plan on replacing just the springs you'll need a deep 21mm wrench or socket with an open head. Other than that, torx and tripple squares from 6mm to 14mm should cover most things.

Also, a thing with all non-american cars, buying metric tools in american auto stores is way harder than it should be, as a result you'll probably be learning the closest imperial equivalents to metric sizes if you haven't already.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Only weird tool I bought is a set of triple square bits. Aside from that, a standard enthusiast tool set should have it.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
I'd say triple squares are one of the only truly unique things i find on the VW. And even then it's a rarer thing to need to use them (i think thus far i've used them on seats and steering wheel). Everything else is pretty standard torx or metric tools.

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
A 7mm combination wrench for those inaccessible hose clamps.

The reason I mentioned this is because most wrench set or bigger tool sets don't come with the odd metric sizes...usually start at 8mm, then 10, 12 and so on.

Here's an example of one of those pesky hose clamps:

(Borrowed the pic from the web)

Last edited:

turboBear

Passed Driver's Ed
Not for auto specific tools, but in my area Lowes home improvement has much better metric selection than other stores ... But I kind of live in a large backwater area in that way.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

bennybmn

Ready to race!
Check out Sears around father's day for decent tool sales. I have had a Triumph for 15 years, and when I first started working on it all I had was your basic Husky socket set. Which I still use and love. But as I started needing sockets larger than 16mm-ish, I found a couple of larger sets that go into the 20+mm range, and then onesie-twosie sockets, like a 36mm for the front sprocket. Add a half inch ratchet from harbor freight and you're good.
So yeah I have a 36mm socket if anyone needs one lol.

Where did folks get their triple square sets?

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
The only time you really need special tools is when you are working on specific areas of the engine. Mostly valvetrain and bottom end specialty tools, you should be fine with torx bits and normal tools.

Mr.Tebo

Ready to race!
Where are these triple square bit screws found? I had built a small tool kit for my car with spare tools i had in my garage and this would be an item i had not run into needing yet as ive torn into the car installing a sub and attempting an H7rc bulb install

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
If you don't have an impact you'll need a reach through socket to do your front struts. I forget the diameter though, doh.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Triple square set is the one main thing i can think of also. I bought a set years back when i was removing the head off mk MK4 Jetta to do some work, but in all honestly have maybe used the triple square a hand full of times in the past decade.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Triple square set is the one main thing i can think of also. I bought a set years back when i was removing the head off mk MK4 Jetta to do some work, but in all honestly have maybe used the triple square a hand full of times in the past decade.

Door latches?

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Lemme know when you come across the need for 5-point Torx plus bits haha! Good luck finding those at your local store, let alone anyone who knows what you're talking about.

Also known as
Torx Plus Security (correct name)
Pentalobe (incorrect as these differ, sometimes will work though)
IPR

Or various other confusing terms