GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Euro tails, finally!

Piotr W.

Hallo. Can anybody send me wiring diagram for tail lights?
I have MK7 US edition amd I want to make work lights for EUROPEAN wersion (with amber turn signals and rear fog light).

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Please post more info about the tails and harness!!

HEY, I have this awesome option for different tail lights! I'm not going to give you any info on them, just thought I'd let you know that they are freakin' sweet.

lol wtf, can someone please post more info?

Last edited:

BA9092

Ready to race!
In my quest for something different, I decided to choose the "Euro/ROW" incandescent tails, utilizing LED bulbs from deAutokey.

I sourced the harness from a forum member (not sure if I can name names), and the tails (outers) came from an ebay seller rar-parts-store.
When checking out the tails, I had to be sure they were the correct tinted tails to match my NA spec inners .

I now have separate amber turn signals along with the rear fog. :D This is how it should have come to begin with!

love it!

Any install details? Coding? Schematic for the harness?

This is something I want to do. I like the NA tails better. I just want the amber turn signals and not using my brake light location.

Besides the rear foglight whats the difference in these tail lights compared to NA?

Any chance to get a link for the lights? And will it install like a Euro LED? Commercial harness + coding?

Please post more info about the tails and harness!!

Hallo. Can anybody send me wiring diagram for tail lights?
I have MK7 US edition amd I want to make work lights for EUROPEAN wersion (with amber turn signals and rear fog light).

HEY, I have this awesome option for different tail lights! I'm not going to give you any info on them, just thought I'd let you know that they are freakin' sweet.

lol wtf, can someone please post more info?

Great job, amancuso! Love it! I've been wanting to do this for a while but can't seem to find any more info.

Since I don't care about doing the rear fog retrofit on the inner lights, do you just need to purchase the outer lights? What are the part numbers?

Do the necessary Euro outer lights with the clear/amber match the "dark/cherry red" in the US/North America GTI inner or do you need to get all 4?

Any info on coding and who makes the harness?

Thanks in advance!

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
How much were the tails?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
The harness is the same as the led tails from my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BA9092

Ready to race!
Finally got around do getting this done!

But I've only been partially successful in retrofitting my '16 GTI with ROW non-LED tails. I originally wanted to retain the NAR look and only replace the bulbs with LEDs from deautokey while enabling the rear amber turn signal.

I bought the outer housings, installed them, wired them with the BEC harness and followed the BEC (not DAP) instructions. I've even managed to code the inner lights to brake as well.

Everything works fine. However, the outer tails' running/parking/brake lights still operate along with the amber signals. Is there anyway to code them as parking/brake only like the inner lights?

I've double-checked all my coding. :(

I've made this short video (alternating between parking only and brakes) indicating what's going on:

https://youtu.be/L6eTdFpcilE

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

But I've only been partially successful in retrofitting my '16 GTI with ROW non-LED tails. I originally wanted to retain the NAR look and only replace the bulbs with LEDs from deautokey while enabling the rear amber turn signal.

I bought the outer housings, installed them, wired them with the BEC harness and followed the BEC (not DAP) instructions. I've even managed to code the inner lights to brake as well.

Everything works fine. However, the outer tails' running/parking/brake lights still operate along with the amber signals. Is there anyway to code them as parking/brake only like the inner lights?

I've double-checked all my coding. :(

I've made this short video (alternating between parking only and brakes) indicating what's going on:

https://youtu.be/L6eTdFpcilE

I didn’t use the BEC harness for my car to add the standard ROW tails. Instead I ran 3 wires to the BCM. Your issue looks like an coding topic. I don’t know what coding came with the harness, but according to my notes you have to change the following:

Leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtfunktion B 20 Blinken links Hellphase -> change to: not active
Leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtfunktion C 20 Blinken links Dunkelphase -> change to: not active

Leuchte21BR RC8-Lichtfunktion B 20 Blinken links Hellphase -> change to: not active
Leuchte21BR RC8-Lichtfunktion C 20 Blinken links Dunkelphase -> change to: not active

If it doesn’t work please share your coding with me.

BA9092

Ready to race!
I didn’t use the BEC harness for my car to add the standard ROW tails. Instead I ran 3 wires to the BCM. Your issue looks like an coding topic. I don’t know what coding came with the harness, but according to my notes you have to change the following:

Leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtfunktion B 20 Blinken links Hellphase -> change to: not active
Leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtfunktion C 20 Blinken links Dunkelphase -> change to: not active

Leuchte21BR RC8-Lichtfunktion B 20 Blinken links Hellphase -> change to: not active
Leuchte21BR RC8-Lichtfunktion C 20 Blinken links Dunkelphase -> change to: not active

If it doesn’t work please share your coding with me.

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately, I didn't find out about the BCM wiring until AFTER the install. There isn't much info on retrofitting these lights, only the LED tails. So, I took the little info I could find and got a harness. I thought they were all alike as they all fulfill the same purpose - enable the amber turn signals on the LED tail lights. So I just ordered the least expensive one.

A week later, I was able to code the tails correctly with the help from Al (Amancuso). The BEC harness install instructions are quite helpful, but they do include a note that they can't be coded like the DAP harness. Well, the DAP codes is what I used for the install and it worked. Here are the coding lines I changed.

Leuchte20BR LA71-Lasttyp 20 -> 13 - Bremsleuchten
Leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtfunktion B 20 -> not active
Leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtfunktion C 20 -> not active
Leuchte20BR LA71-Dimmwert EF 20 -> 10

Leuchte21BR RC8-Lasttyp 21 -> 13 - Bremsleuchten
Leuchte21BR RC8-Lichtfunktion B 21 -> not active
Leuchte21BR RC8-Lichtfunktion C 21 -> not active
Leuchte21BR RC8-Dimmwert EF 21 -> 10

Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lasttyp 23 -> 12 - Blinkleuchten
Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lichtfunktion A 23 -> not active
Leuchte23SL HLC10-Dimmwert AB 23 -> 10
Leuchte23SL HLC10-Lichtfunktion C 23 -> Blinken links Hellphase
Leuchte23SL HLC10-Dimmwert CD 23 -> 100

Leuchte24SL HRA65-Lasttyp 24 -> 12 - Blinkleuchten
Leuchte24SL HRA65-Lichtfunktion A 24 -> not active
Leuchte24SL HRA65-Dimmwert AB 24 -> 10
Leuchte24SL HRA65-Lichtfunktion C 24 -> Blinken rechts Hellphase
Leuchte24SL HRA65-Dimmwert CD 24 -> 100

This is with the BEC harness, outer RoW tails (5G0941095B and 5G0941096B), deAutokey LED bulbs (4x running/brake, 2x amber.)

nype

Drag Racing Champion

I am looking at doing this but I still have some unanswered questions that I am hoping you guys can help with.

5G0941095B (left side outer tail light housing)
5G0941096B (right side outer tail light housing)

These part numbers are third party (Valeo) and not OEM VW, correct? I checked with my preferred Euro supplier (e-acca) and they do not sell them. I believe you got them from cars245.com?

How much did you pay for the outer housings (as you said, inners were the same so need to swap out)?

For the wiring, can I just use the BEC harness on the outer tails (to allow for the amber bulb), and leave the inner housing harness free?

If so, this would mean that there would be no need to run a wire from outer harness to inner harness, correct?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me. And if there is another thread on this subject that I should reference, please let me know.

Cheers!

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Ignore the question about the price. But I’m wondering, does anyone know the price / part numbers for the OEM VW housings?

BA9092

Ready to race!
I am looking at doing this but I still have some unanswered questions that I am hoping you guys can help with.

5G0941095B (left side outer tail light housing)
5G0941096B (right side outer tail light housing)

These part numbers are third party (Valeo) and not OEM VW, correct? I checked with my preferred Euro supplier (e-acca) and they do not sell them. I believe you got them from cars245.com?

How much did you pay for the outer housings (as you said, inners were the same so need to swap out)?

For the wiring, can I just use the BEC harness on the outer tails (to allow for the amber bulb), and leave the inner housing harness free?

If so, this would mean that there would be no need to run a wire from outer harness to inner harness, correct?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me. And if there is another thread on this subject that I should reference, please let me know.

Cheers!

Ignore the question about the price. But I’m wondering, does anyone know the price / part numbers for the OEM VW housings?

Yes, those are the part numbers of the ones I bought. I got them through their eBay store.

Sadly, I bought the whole set (all 4) as I didn't know if the inner tails would match in shade since there are a couple of different reds (cherry vs dark cherry.)

Doesn't Valeo make the Euro lights? Hella? Valeo?

I know ECS sells all 4 tails as a set too, but they had a 6 week wait. Dap might have them too, not sure.

I searched for the part number and only found cars245.com as a viable source.

I ran the BEC harness wiring exactly per their instructions. Then coded per their instructions as well. Al (Amancuso) helped me with the glitch I had where the outer running/brake lights were still blinking with the amber turn signals simultaneously. I recoded a few steps and now they're perfect!

Oh, and go with deAutokey's 4 running/brake bulbs and rear amber turn signals. They're bright and even!

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

As far as I understand the harness of BEC you have to connect it to the inner lights.

You can do the amber turn signals w/o an additional harness. I don’t recommend to do that because you are using a shared single wire of Leuchte27NSL for two incandescent Running/Brake lights! By the way BEC is using this shared single wire for the two inner Running/Brake lights!

You have to re-pin two wires at the connector on each side. Pin 1 goes into Pin 3 and Pin 4 into Pin 1. After that you have to do some re-coding: add braking to Leuchte27NSL
and disable Running/Brake light function from Leuchte20BL and Leuchte21BR.