GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recommendations for Swaybar Size, Front and Rear

AR11

Ready to race!
Any recommend on how to get the Clamps off the rear sway bar???

I hold the bar so that the bracket openings are facing downwards and support the two tabs (wood or open bench vise, etc.) and tap the bar with a rubber mallet.

autovelocity

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 R
Im going to install the Neuspeed 25mm RSB and SuperPro endlinks next week, however I have noticed the Neuspeed 27mm RSB comes with subframe reinforcement plates while the 25mm does not.

Note: The factory RSB is 18.4mm and get terrible body roll on the SportWagen

My concern is, if I install this 25mm RSB should I worry about subframe strain?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Looking for some info!

Does anyone know a location to purchase aftermarket front sway bar bushings for the front OE bar? 24mm bar for GTI.
One can find them but only sold in package with a new sway bar.
Even OE bushing only sold as a set.

Yes thicker front bar and option but to install front suspension must be lowered which require alignment after. No against, just would rather not do this now.

Any help appreciated.

Update from me to me!

The OE bar has the bushing molded to it. Per ECS Tuning. Bar must be replaced to replace bushing. Great design VW.
So, looks like upgrade and dealer install because few will do VW alignment it seems.
Firestone dealer recommended I use VW for alignment so likely limited options.
I guess if I have front done might as well do rear. Which I can do myself depending on dealer price for the set installed.
So another coordinated plan to deliver car in Chattanooga (3 hour round trip) and get install work performed.
Lovely

Last edited:

B95zP

Ready to race!
Looking for some info!

Does anyone know a location to purchase aftermarket front sway bar bushings for the front OE bar? 24mm bar for GTI.
One can find them but only sold in package with a new sway bar.
Even OE bushing only sold as a set.

Yes thicker front bar and option but to install front suspension must be lowered which require alignment after. No against, just would rather not do this now.

Any help appreciated.

Update from me to me!

The OE bar has the bushing molded to it. Per ECS Tuning. Bar must be replaced to replace bushing. Great design VW.
So, looks like upgrade and dealer install because few will do VW alignment it seems.
Firestone dealer recommended I use VW for alignment so likely limited options.
I guess if I have front done might as well do rear. Which I can do myself depending on dealer price for the set installed.
So another coordinated plan to deliver car in Chattanooga (3 hour round trip) and get install work performed.
Lovely

Yup, not sure what the setup is called, but when installing the Eurocode FSB drilling out the OE nuts is part of the install.

MikeF1021

Ready to race!
Wow that is ridiculous...

I guess VW has a good reason?

I was going to replace my oem golf FSB with the GTI FSB until I realized they had the same part number(5qm411303)... and then I was going to simply replace the oem FSB bushings with superpro bushings until I saw this... so thank you, this saves me a bit of trouble.

VW actually did this for a reason. ;)

Some will remember Mk4s used to suffer from front end knocking due to
worn swaybar bushings, since there's friction in conventional swaybar
bushings causing wear.
For that reason VW developed 'non-frictional bushings' that are glued to
the swaybar, first introduced on the Mk5. The SSP pic doesn't show the
'voided' intersection between inner and outer half of the bushing. Hope
you can see it on the photo.

That said, I remember SuperPro, Whiteline and others did offer stiffer
replacement bushings for use along with the stock swaybar. Did you
check their websites?

:confused:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
VW actually did this for a reason. ;)

Some will remember Mk4s used to suffer from front end knocking due to
worn swaybar bushings, since there's friction in conventional swaybar
bushings causing wear.
For that reason VW developed 'non-frictional bushings' that are glued to
the swaybar, first introduced on the Mk5. The SSP pic doesn't show the
'voided' intersection between inner and outer half of the bushing. Hope
you can see it on the photo.

That said, I remember SuperPro, Whiteline and others did offer stiffer
replacement bushings for use along with the stock swaybar. Did you
check their websites?

:confused:

I did not look at those brands but did talk to ECS, 034 MotorSport and Eibach.
All of them mentioned the issue but did not know of a bushing only swap option.
I have ordered a front/rear set from Eibach. Only issue is they are not able to be greased after install. However like always they are working on some. If an issue maybe I can upgrade. The OE bushing looks very thin on the car. Does lowering 1 inch put that much stress on them or could past pot hole hits have shortened life? The last thing that happened was backing out of my Mother-in-Laws drive way the car is torqued a lot due to dip. I have to take at an angle to avoid rubbing. Did this for a week while visiting. Plan to used 2x6 board in future to fill in dip.

The OE bushing picture above does not look very strong. All of the open area look like crack inducing areas.