GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

euro facelifted 7R - pics

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I'm not sure I like the all digital dash. Does anyone have power numbers on the refresh? Will this refresh be followed by a completely new MK8 wishing a year or two?

RoyB2

Ready to race!
Not digging the refresh. Front end looks like they just slapped some plastic on.

I hate digital dash's. This seems to be more popular lately so hopefully it's just short lived trend.

Wheels- wow, ugly

Big radio is cool. Looks like it takes up half the dash.

Wheres the push start?

Supposed to have a small hp bump and the 7 speed dsg would be cool. I am getting the itch. I think the Gen 8 will have a larger engine. I will hold out for another year to see what the next model offers I guess.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Supposed to have a small hp bump and the 7 speed dsg would be cool. I am getting the itch. I think the Gen 8 will have a larger engine. I will hold out for another year to see what the next model offers I guess.

I bet it'll be another 2.slow, but it'll have a twin scroll turbo. Combined with the 7 speed, turbo lag will be a thing of the past as well as trading gas mileage for fun.

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!
Looks pretty good, except for the rims. I'll save the final opinion for when I see it in person.
I'm thinking the pictures of the digital driver display might not be doing it justice...
Power bump and a 7speed DSG are huge selling points IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ethernautGasMan

Looks pretty good, except for the rims. I'll save the final opinion for when I see it in person.
I'm thinking the pictures of the digital driver display might not be doing it justice...
Power bump and a 7speed DSG are huge selling points IMO.

Let's hope they stick with the current wheels. Anyone have any hot tips on a US release for the refreshed R!? Praying for some interior updates (virtual cockpit), color updates (Nardo!) and exterior updates (led) I'm ready to order!!! Besides an ECU tune, didn't wanna buy a 17 and spend $$ to make it more 'refreshed'.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
While the current R might be a tad too understated, at least for me, tacking on all sorts of shiny black plastic additions to the grill doesn't seem to work here. Neither does the change to gloss black lower side moldings, over the body-colored versions on the current model. It reminds me of what you typically see on Japanese performance editions; it's far too busy and not really integrated with the overall design. That said, I am kind of fond of the little black winglets adorning the bottom corners of the front bumper. Too bad VW didn't try to spice things up a bit with the rear spoiler they put on the GTI Club Sport, instead. That Pacific Rim look is even more exaggerated when coupled with the new "Spielberg" wheels--let's hope that when the car finally makes it to North America, VWoA makes those wheels an option as they're doing with the European market.

While I prefer the simple yet highly functional gauge cluster in the current R, updating the design with a configurable LCD monitor was the right move, though I hope they have the display programmed so that R models get blue speedo/tach needles.

I know this is wishing for too much, but maybe, just maybe, VW will have designed the LED taillights and armrests to be compliant with US regulations so that we might get those features as well. And as long as I'm dreaming, carrying the blue LED strips in the doors all the way into the back seating area would correct another missed styling opportunity.

These aesthetic changes don't have me aching to trade-in my '15 R quite yet, though the 7 speed DSG and still ambiguous engine tweaks have piqued my curiosity. Right now I'm holding out to see what the Mk8's are like before I start hanging out at my local VW dealer's showroom.

For those of you who haven't seen it on the CSS thread:

I came across this from the newest Golf R sales brochure, picturing the roof spoiler
add-on available soon for the Golf R. To me it looks a little bit disappointing since I
expected a think little bit more close to the Clubsport wing which it defintely isn't:

Instead of that new optional R spoiler I highly prefer the SRStec spoiler over it:

(thanks to Al in Philly for the picture)

Curiously the SRStec spoilerlooks more OEM than the factory offering. ;)

LeoA86

Ready to race!
Not hating, but the front bumper honestly just looks hideous. It doesn't flow well and reminds me of the way honda redid their honda civic si 2 years during the model year to try and boost sales. It was garbage. Know the digital gauge i do like, thats an upgrade. Tail lights, dope. But the wheels nasty. I love the 19 cadiz wheels. Just my two cents. Headlights are not all that great, i like the double u lights way more.

Note that in Europe cars don't come as complete packages as you're used to in the US.
There's plenty of choice. You can pick up virtually any color or wheel you like, different
light systems, several stereo and Nav systems individually etc.. That's why in Europe any
GTI or R you see on the street is unique. The drawback is cars use to be more expensive
compared to the US. Granted, scheduled prices are higher. European customers expect
the salesmen to discount between 10 and 15 percent at the very least. At the end real
prices shouldn't differ that much.

drustill

Ready to race!
Not hating, but the front bumper honestly just looks hideous. It doesn't flow well and reminds me of the way honda redid their honda civic si 2 years during the model year to try and boost sales. It was garbage. Know the digital gauge i do like, thats an upgrade. Tail lights, dope. But the wheels nasty. I love the 19 cadiz wheels. Just my two cents. Headlights are not all that great, i like the double u lights way more.
Agree on all your points. I like the newness factor and the interior tech. I think the front lights could grow on me but are less aggressive IMO. And I wouldn't hold my breath for those tails in NA.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk