GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI DIY oil change

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
What's a good catch basin everyone is using.
I always buy the wrong one & oil comes splashing everywhere.

skian

Ready to race!
What's a good catch basin everyone is using.
I always buy the wrong one & oil comes splashing everywhere.

I just use a generic one from pepboys. I've found a good trick to avoid splash is don't fully unscrew the drain plug at 1st. Unscrew it about half way. Then at the end take it out as theres less pressure behind it at that point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mk7user

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 2015
I just use a generic one from pepboys. I've found a good trick to avoid splash is don't fully unscrew the drain plug at 1st. Unscrew it about half way. Then at the end take it out as theres less pressure behind it at that point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
THanks for the tip!

Mk7VW

Banned
I decided to change my oil today @ 1500 miles. I drained it out, removed the filter and let it drain out more and filled it with 6 US quarts and the oil level is still reading half way on the dip stick. It even came out the factory reading half way on the dip stick. I checked the oil level when the engine was warm. Is there a dip stick issue going around?

SRoads

Ready to race!
I decided to change my oil today @ 1500 miles. I drained it out, removed the filter and let it drain out more and filled it with 6 US quarts and the oil level is still reading half way on the dip stick. It even came out the factory reading half way on the dip stick. I checked the oil level when the engine was warm. Is there a dip stick issue going around?

How long did you wait after you turned off the car before you checked it? Should be at least 10-15 min to let it drain back into the pan. And by engine warm did you mean the coolant guage was reading 200 or what the oil temp over 200?

mazstar

Just did an oil change but the long thing inside the filter wasn't attached to the filter housing. I wasn't sure if it is supposed to click in but was worried if break it if it was forced in. I aligned the long plastic thing (adapter, manual says it's called discharge stud) and then tightened the housing back on. I'm assuming it clicks back in place with the torque applied and compression or should I remove it and fix it back into place - I can't find any resources on it. The car drives fine no fault codes or issues that I can notice.

Does it matter which way the filter goes in? Is the same whether in one way or the other?
I bet it says "top" ("oben") on one end. ;)

jsasper

Posting in this to bump and help others looking for it;

Just did my first oil change yesterday on my mk7 GTI. It was very weird in comparison to other, older vehicles, but overall was a very simple process. The only tool I needed was a flathead screwdriver for removing the drain plug. A few notable things:

- I used a full 6 quarts of Mobile1 0w-40, 502 spec rating for VW.
- the replacement filter, I ordered from Amazon for about $13. Mann-Filter HU6002Z Oil Filter
- I did not buy a replacement plug. Reusing the factory given one made sense to me, as even though it is plastic, nothing was damaged and it fit back into the drain opening very snuggly. I will eventually replace, but not with this first oil change.
- I did replace the oil filter, though they are usually good for more than one oil change. I've seen a lot of mention about needing a rubber strap wrench, but mine just needed some elbow grease. I didn't even remove the engine cover to get it off.
- Once unscrewed and removed, you can easily see the filter poking out from the underside, with the arm that everyone mentions sticking out through the middle of it. No turning necessary, just give the filter a good pull while holding the top part of the housing to remove.
- I did replace the larger o-ring on the housing, as the new filter comes with one, so why not. But as for the smaller o-ring on that arm, I left them alone. They looked fine and I can't find any recommended replacement times for them either.
- When installing the new filter, make sure you push it in the housing until you hear a hard click. When that happens, you won't be able to jiggle the filter around and you'll know it is in place where it needs to be.

And that's about it! Very simple.

egebhardt

Thanks... jsasper..
I'm about to do the 1st change for my wife's new 2017 GTI Autobahn.
When I read the current WV 502 00 spec, it shows no Mobil1, no RotellaT6, none of the great oils at any local autoparts store.

Then I called VW where I bought the GTI last month.
"Oh... any fully synthetic 5w-40 is fine. We don't sell the oil"

Whatever.... I'll use a good full-synthetic 5w-40.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Mobile 1 euro and Castrol euro are both at Walmart and meet VW spec. You're welcome

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I changed the engine oil today in my 2017 Golf 1.8T and after adding 5.8 QT the oil level is only 3/4 up the hashed area on the dipstick. This was after driving the car and letting it cool down for a few hours. From the factory, the oil level was perfect, just a bit above the bend above the upper hashmark when cold. It seems that I'll be another one here who needed 6 QT to hit the mark.

By the way, a rubber funnel works great. It's end is soft, it'll stay put and will fit down in the fill hole without trouble.

Attachments

• 2017-10-27 VW Oil Change Rubber Funnel.jpg
    2017-10-27 VW Oil Change Rubber Funnel.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 1,825
Last edited: