GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

chilly high revs.

simba

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anybody know why when the weather on the chilly side the engine ticks over at approx 1100 rpm for a few miles I've heard various theory's but not one that's conclusive, tech baffled also.:confused:
I'm not referring to a re/gen of Course.
The one with the correct answer may even be awarded with a cracker jack pencil and pen or a blue peter badge.;)

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
The one with the correct answer may even be awarded with a cracker jack pencil and pen or a blue peter badge.;)

Showing your age now!

Zaphod

It could be to do with getting the exhaust manifold and DPF up to temp as quickly as possible. I've had a read of this a while back and it mentions that durning wam up the engine injects more fuel into the mix to bring everthing up to temp more rapidly.

simba

Passed Driver's Ed
It could be to do with getting the exhaust manifold and DPF up to temp as quickly as possible. I've had a read of this a while back and it mentions that durning wam up the engine injects more fuel into the mix to bring everthing up to temp more rapidly.

I wonder if its pacifically for the newish ea288 engine.

the ea288 doesn't get warmer any quicker than my p.d./ c.r. engine though.

jb1683

Hi Simba (taking my first post virginity here!)

I had the same with mine... worked it out to be the Auxillary Heater.

When I turned the climate control on and it was cold outside, say >3c, the revs would climb to about 1200-1400. When turned back off again, it would drop again to about 950.

None of my previous diesel cars have idled high when cold, so I would put it down to the extra current drawn off by this heater.

:)

Silvadadi

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Simba (taking my first post virginity here!)

I had the same with mine... worked it out to be the Auxillary Heater.

When I turned the climate control on and it was cold outside, say >3c, the revs would climb to about 1200-1400. When turned back off again, it would drop again to about 950.

None of my previous diesel cars have idled high when cold, so I would put it down to the extra current drawn off by this heater.

:)

I know that the aux heater is selected in settings but does the a/c have to be on for it to be active or does it kick in automatically regardless?

mondo

Ready to race!
I know that the aux heater is selected in settings but does the a/c have to be on for it to be active or does it kick in automatically regardless?

No. I've owned a GTD for just on 8 weeks, this time of year I don't run the aircon, except for once a week on the autobahn to keep it healthy

The aux heater does get the heating system up to temperature quicker when enabled with the aircon powered off.. I know this because I've toyed extensively with the vehicle's settings over the past few weeks

gman44

On mine its because the battery voltage is a bit low and it makes sure that the battery is fully topped up so the start stop can start working. its very annoying if you are in a car park for example as you feel you are going too fast even in first

dreamweaver

I have had this niggle for ages where the car would tick over at 1100 rpm, by chance pressed the menu button on the climate buttons, settings and the pre heater icon was ticked, unticked and low and behold the revs dropped, now idling at normal 800.