GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Improvement to the 2x4 method of installing lowering spring.

Calum.

Passed Driver's Ed
When you remove the bolt & open the spindle up (with the strut spreader)....that unclamps the strut & makes it free.
Then you're just "lifting"/jacking the strut up out of the spindle by compressing the spring/strut with the jack & 2x4

Thanks

P.S. Why doesn't this forum have a thanks button, or do I just not have enough posts yet?

rodon

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, it'll work perfectly for removing the OEM struts

The new Bilsteins should drop right in though (spin them all the day down before installing, if you want, for peace of mind), you won't need to compress or use this method

Awesome, thanks. Will be getting started early on Saturday, have all the tools, jacks, stands etc. ready to go.

marcg611

Ready to race!
Has anybody tried this with DCC successfully? If so what did it take? Wondering if you can just notch the 2x4 for the DCC sensor.
^ This.. can you cut a 1" deep notch in the 2x4 to clear? Notching it and bolting to sway bar seems so much easier than messing with the axle. Can anyone confirm doing 2x4 method with DCC please?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

sonnysingh

Digging up an oldie here, but what happens once you jack the strut up and it clears/the spindle? Can you move the spindle out of the way, and lower the jack, and then remove the strut tower bolts?

Secondly, anyone with DCC get this to work successfully, with trimming the 2x4 by the DCC plug?

S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Digging up an oldie here, but what happens once you jack the strut up and it clears/the spindle? Can you move the spindle out of the way, and lower the jack, and then remove the strut tower bolts?

Secondly, anyone with DCC get this to work successfully, with trimming the 2x4 by the DCC plug?

S

Yes and yes a few people cut a notch for the module, get a good quality 2x4

xl1200r

Ready to race!
Wow - this method actually looks easier than what I went through on a friend's lift. I'll keep it in mind if I ever upgrade struts or go to coilovers.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Are there any torque to yield bolts to replace with this 2x4 method?
The only critical one I see is the one on the knuckle.

rumbard1981

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI, Passat
Question- I tried doing the 2x4 method last weekend starting on Drivers Front- I could not get the strut housing out of the knuckle. I was at it for 2 hours-

I tried splitting the collar open to allow it to come out- banging on the strut-

It wouldn't budge out there. It was almost out but not enough. Usded WD40...no bueno

Any further tips?

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Question- I tried doing the 2x4 method last weekend starting on Drivers Front- I could not get the strut housing out of the knuckle. I was at it for 2 hours-

I tried splitting the collar open to allow it to come out- banging on the strut-

It wouldn't budge out there. It was almost out but not enough. Usded WD40...no bueno

Any further tips?

Are you spreading the knuckle as you work on the strut? Start spreading and then relocate the spreader tool as you clear the strut out of the knuckle, don’t leave the tool in the same place or the strut will never come out, are you using a jack to compress the strut? Get someone to lend you a hand with the jack while you deal with the strut

AR11

Ready to race!
Are you spreading the knuckle as you work on the strut? Start spreading and then relocate the spreader tool as you clear the strut out of the knuckle, don’t leave the tool in the same place or the strut will never come out, are you using a jack to compress the strut? Get someone to lend you a hand with the jack while you deal with the strut

What BX is getting at is that there is a small bracket off the shock that resides in the slot in the knuckle and will likely interfere with your spreader tool so you need to relocate the tool under the bracket after you get it started.

Were you getting no movement at all or was it getting hung up half way?

rumbard1981

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI, Passat
Yup- what you guys said above is true- I feel like a dummy now...lol

It was getting hung up half way as you pointed out.

will re tackle it this weekend and move the tool as I jack it up. I just left it there and didn't pay attention. Why isn't this coming out? Man I feel dumb. Oh well- live and learn. Thanks for the help. Will let you know what happens- in round 2.

AR11

Ready to race!
If it's any relief - at least you didn't bolt the knuckle down with the spreader still in there and bust the knuckle. I'm sure someone has done that by now.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
I couldn’t get this to work after 2 hours so I ripped it all sort like normal. The jack would push up at an angle no matter what when bolted to the sway bar mount.