GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about Auto headlights/fogs

mjesenovec

Passed Driver's Ed
In my previous car, I could pull out the fog switch and leave it. DRL's would be on until dark, at which point my low beams and fogs would kick on. I use my fogs all the time, so i just left them on, and on auto.

In my new GTI (first time VW owner here), I noticed that during the day, if I pull out the fog switch while on the auto setting, the HID's are on during the day, and the fogs come on at night. The only way to keep my DRL's on only, is by turning off the fogs and running the headlights in auto, then turn on the fogs manually at night.

My question is, is there any way to get my GTI to function like my previous car? I don't want my HID's on during the day, only DRLs, and I don't want to have to manually turn my fogs on when I leave work and it's already dark outside.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
VCDS/OBDeleven would let you do that as VW don't because Fog lights are only supposed to be used in foggy conditions in conjunction with the headlights. Also (rightly so) illegal to have on when not foggy, the clue is in the name.;)

mjesenovec

Passed Driver's Ed
I have an OBDEleven. I figured there was some coding that could be done, so I'll do some digging and see what I can find. I figured it was set up this way due to Euro laws. I've never had a euro car before this GTI, so some things are different. There are no laws in the US against using fog lights whenever you like. :)

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
There are no laws in the US against using fog lights whenever you like. :)

Probably because it's a common sense thing. Why would you drive around with fog lights on when there's no fog? I see people doing it on the streets on a clear day and it's as annoying as someone with their brights on.

mjesenovec

Passed Driver's Ed
Probably because it's a common sense thing. Why would you drive around with fog lights on when there's no fog? I see people doing it on the streets on a clear day and it's as annoying as someone with their brights on.

I agree. Some cars have more glare from the foglights than others. The worst is pickup trucks with HID fogs, they're awful. I just prefer the look of having my fog lights on, otherwise it serves zero purpose.