Anyone try aftermarket head units?

YellowC4S

Ready to race!
I would have the Alpine if it were available on my side of the pond

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
The alpine is about $1500USD shipped, would be considered grey market with no warranty, and it's even questionable whether it fully works here in the states.

Do some euro specced golfs come equipped with a super stripped down entry level stereo? Something less than the mib2? Otherwise I can't quite understand why this thing exists.

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
Those are pluses in my book too but not for $1500. I could install a high quality amp and/or DSP and have those things (plus a lot more) for less than that. I'd also get to keep carplay/android auto which the alpine does not seem to even have.

i would have considered the damn pioneer evo1 and called it a day but they require you buy extra shit to get the unit to work. i hate the price tag but in a way it is kind of justified, especially if you are someone like me who does have to adjust the subwoofer settings and even eq settings because i listen to a host of other things in the car and also like the benefit of navigation. it is a lot of money though, but it is also an alpine, and i have not met anyone with issues from owning an alpine head unit

YellowC4S

Ready to race!
The alpine is about $1500USD shipped, would be considered grey market with no warranty, and it's even questionable whether it fully works here in the states.

Do some euro specced golfs come equipped with a super stripped down entry level stereo? Something less than the mib2? Otherwise I can't quite understand why this thing exists.

Maps can be updated. FM would work. AM would not. No XM. no ainet for external XM. No CarPlay, just a nice 9" screen. I've been a long time supporter of al;ine products but nowadays, they really don't offer shit unless it's for a truck...at least on this side of the Atlantic.

Peteomagic

Just installed it in my G7. With Apple tv 4 to hdmi conneted. Works perfect. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk