GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TDI -heat only coming from left hand vents

Andy8ch

Hoping someone can give me some pointers...

A few months ago the car went into the dealers as it was loosing coolant - after an initial no fault finding they then discovered the silicate bag in the expansion tank had failed and caused the silicate to leak.
They advised they replaced the expansion tank and flushed the system..

A few weeks after the repair we noticed no heat coming from the far right drivers vent and floor vent, although a little heat coming from the drivers side middle vent.

It was booked in for a few weeks later as we needed a loan car. They said they couldn't find a fault but would carry on tests for another day. This still resulted in no fault found. We went to pick up the car and found heat had actually returned to the vents although it wasn't as hot as passenger vents.

A few weeks later just before xmas the fault returned. We asked if we could drive in to show them the fault. The tech agreed there was a fault and believed the cooling system needed a flush and they booked the car in for the first week of Jan.
It goes in and we get a call saying they can't find a fault, it sounds to them like an intermittent fault. They could do a coolant flush but would charge £600 as it wouldn't be covered under the VW extended warranty - we declined as they could offer no assurance this would work.
We picked up the car and the heating seems to be working again although the drivers side is noticeably cooler than the passenger side.

Has any one had any experience like this?
I am so confused over how the car develops the fault and seems to be cured when it's taken in - to the point I am wondering if it's a computer type glitch that resolves itself when plugged into diagnostics of the garage...
I've heard about Passat TDI's having blocked heater cores, but I can't find any golf issues and wouldn't have thought that this be our problem as it seems to clear itself when at the garage.
The car is driven on a 45minute commute to and from work 3 times a week, so has every chance to warm up, although the other 4 days are mainly local journeys.

If anyone can give some advice I'd be vary grateful as whilst the car is ok at the moment I suspect the issue will return!

Ps sorry for the long 1st post