GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

manual clutch engagment sloppy and inconsistent

Andy841

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys,

I have an APR stage 2 (high output) mk7 R with a Clutchmasters stage 3 clutch and lightweight single mass flywheel.

I changed the clutch prior to going APR (was jb1) as I felt the standard clutch was a bit numb and feared it would start slipping at some stage.

At the same time as installing the new clutch I had the mechanic do the clutch delay valve mod and since getting the work complete around 5000kms ago I have just felt the new clutch has the same numb engagment as the old one.

In my opinion its nothing to do with the clutch itself as it has always felt this way. Neither the old or new clutch have ever slipped under power so I am happy in that respect.

What else could be at play here? I find the new clutch engages RIGHT at the top of the pedal and often shudders on light take offs...

Anyone have any ideas as to what I could do to fix it up?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
After the clutch warms up, does it still shudder? (or is this just when first driving off?)

carmudgeon

I would suggest different engine mounts for the shudder. Had the same issue on my STi after a tune and more aggressive clutch. Especially with a puck style clutch.

I've had my Golf R for literally one day and I already had new engine mounts waiting for it.

Last edited:

Andy841

Passed Driver's Ed
After the clutch warms up, does it still shudder? (or is this just when first driving off?)

I would say if anything it shudders more the warmer it is.

It seems that it is always fine after a cold start, then after a while will become less consistent and harder to use.

I thought it might be temp of the fluid but it has decent brake fluid in it.

I could try some higher temp I guess. Doubtful it is that though.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
this might be relatively useless info, and it could be bc i just suck at driving stick, but both VWs i've had (Mk6 and now Mk7 GTIs) hve had this issue. Inconsistent clutch actuation. Some days its perfect. Some days its inconsistent. Some days, i cant get a nice shift for the life of me. First one (Mk6) had absolutely no mods. Now, my Mk7 has the ECS block, clutch spring delete, a clutch stop, and the 034 mount.

Andy841

Passed Driver's Ed
I thought the dual mass flywheel was one of the problems however after getting the new clutch I am feeling that a lot of the things I hated about the standard clutch are still present.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Shouldn't the clutch start to grab much farther down? I haven't driven a manual in years but when I did I always adjusted it to grab about an inch off the floor. Even the one car I had with hydraulic assist grabbed near the bottom. No wonder everyone complains about their clutch. It's not a natural leg movement.

Downshift1

I just added the Dogbone insert and the first thing I noticed was increased shudder on take-off. The higher the RPMs when slipping, the less shudder but I'd be inclined to agree with the poster who suggested different engine/trans mounts. Although increasing the absorption of your drivetrain mounts will have the opposite effect on the crispness of your shifts. For me, I'm going to keep the insert and live with the little bit of increased shudder. If anyone has any alternative solutions for shudder that don't compromise drivetrain stiffness I'd be happy to hear.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
The CDV only delays the engagement of your next gear during high RPM shifts, it shouldn't have any affect on the feel of your pedal, or at least I wouldn't think so. My M3 pedal felt the same with and without the CDV.

I'm checking the CM website and can't even find a clutch for the MK7 R, so I can't tell, but what is the difference in clamping force from stock to stage 3? Isn't pedal feel derived from the clamping force of the pressure plate? Is your clutch an organic or pucked disc? If it's a pucked disc, that may explain the shuddering engagement. That or going from a DMFW to an SMFW is causing the shuddering, but I thought that only caused chatter.

Sorry, just typing out loud here lol

Andy841

Passed Driver's Ed
It's an organic disc mate, not centre spring so engagement should be similar to stock. And yes the flywheel chatters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trbojoe112

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I had a clutchmasters fx350 on my Mk6 and it shuddered horribly. Always had to give it extra gas and more slip from a start. It has to do with how the pads on the disk engage. Held power great but didn't last very long and I went through 2 of them

britet

The clutch on the Mk7 R (stock, no mods) engages WAY higher than on my Mk6 GTI. Feels like I only have to ever press down a few inches, maybe like 30% of the full range available (although by force of habit I usually end up pressing further). And I wouldn't call it "numb" but would agree it has less feel than the GTI as well.
I don't really have any complaints with the clutch per se, but, tangentially related, have found the transmission to be more persnickety in the Mk7 R. Maybe just my shifting, but never had a similar problem in the Mk6 GTI over five years of use; I find myself grinding gears from time to time when almost never did with the GTI. Feels more inclined to "stick" or "catch" when shifting.