GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"OK Google" and Android Auto 2

takemorepills

Ready to race!
So, I have been TRYING to use "OK Google" since it rolled out 2 months ago. It "sorta" works in my GTI. Basically, when I am driving on the highway, it can't understand my commands due to road noise. I can see the "OK Google" level meter is nearly pegged when it is listening for my command. Anybody else (in a GTI or Golf R) having issues using "OK Google" at highway speeds?

Secondly, I heard that Android Auto 2 is on its way and will introduce wireless connection, and I believe it uses the vehicle Wi-Fi to communicate with the vehicle HU. I know that the MIB2 has Wi-Fi hidden away in its service menu. Do you think VW will release a software update that allows MIB2 to utilize its built-in Wi-Fi to communicate with AA2??
I would love to not need to connect a cable anymore for AA.

phant0m

Ready to race!
Car(s)
So, I have been TRYING to use "OK Google" since it rolled out 2 months ago. It "sorta" works in my GTI. Basically, when I am driving on the highway, it can't understand my commands due to road noise. I can see the "OK Google" level meter is nearly pegged when it is listening for my command. Anybody else (in a GTI or Golf R) having issues using "OK Google" at highway speeds?

Secondly, I heard that Android Auto 2 is on its way and will introduce wireless connection, and I believe it uses the vehicle Wi-Fi to communicate with the vehicle HU. I know that the MIB2 has Wi-Fi hidden away in its service menu. Do you think VW will release a software update that allows MIB2 to utilize its built-in Wi-Fi to communicate with AA2??
I would love to not need to connect a cable anymore for AA.
You have the "Ok Google" voice recognition turned on in the Android Auto app on your phone, correct? Just double check, mine disabled itself after last update. It works incredibly well in my GTI. I can say Ok Google at a normal voice while at highway speeds and music blasting and it hears me. Even during a cold start with a stage 2 dogbone mount and nasty cabin vibrations/drone in the mornings it still hears me.

No clue about the mib2 stuff :/

Sent from my LG V20

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Yeah I have it on, it heard me say "OK Google" and listens for me, but it seems that road noise is affecting it. Those 4 little yellow bars seem to be maxed out at highway speeds.

Lower speeds it works great. I can now talk with my car. I am less lonely now ��

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Gotta use a German accent. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Mine always seems to work just fine. The last OTA update disabled mine too, had to manually turn it back on. Mic was showing disabled in the car's display.

It's more an issue of google not having the answer than not understanding me.

Maybe ask her to "beam me up scotty" or "make me a sandwich" See if she understands you then.

Wireless would be awesome, but the only time I charge my phone is in my car. I'd have to pull the 'ol charger out.