GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Absolute Best Oil

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Amsoil is terrific oil. I have seen TONS of great used oil reports from Amsoil over many years. I use their severe duty gear oil in both of my 4Runner's differentials.

That being said, Amsoil motor oils are NOT VW-approved for the 502.00 specification. If a dealer or VWoA wanted to play hardball on an engine warranty denial, they would likely win.

An oil can say things like "Application: VW 502.00" or "Engineered for VW 502.00" on the label, but unless it has VW approval, you are rolling the dice on an engine warranty claim. I have no doubt that Amsoil European Formula would give excellent results, but just be advised it is not VW-approved.

Here is the VW/Audi 502.00 approval list: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/audiusa/Documents/Audi-1997-2016-Technical-Service-Bulletin.pdf

Lmike6453

Ready to race!
I researched this for a month since the GTI was my first new car. I compared all the full synthetics/exotics/etc and honestly, based on specs provided, M1 0-40 was the best all round oil and what I went with. 0 weight is almost a must for me but I didn't want breakdown with high temps and although it's not a true full syn, it is a great oil. If you're at the track, that's one thing.. I'd get a high shear oil and something designed for that. 99% of my driving is not at the track so that's why I decided on M1.

In reality you probably won't notice a difference with any of them. They are all great.. It's splitting hairs and tailoring it to your driving. Get something with low ash to help with the carbon buildup on the valves tho :)

I never heard of low ash oil to reduce carbon buildup. What oils would be best to reduce the carbon buildup? I am getting a new engine swapped in and am picking it up next week and need to plan which oil to use and when to change - thinking of Motul for known good quality.

zeeme

Passed Driver's Ed
Where do you all get the M1 is bad? I've used it in my Z32 since 2003. It's proven to be good oil. I've been told that the Walmart M1 jugs is lesser quality than bought elsewhere...who knows.

Now Royal Purple on the other hand changed its formula, and it's not as good as it used to be.

I'm going to love this MK7 Sport. So far, fun little car and I'm not even past break in.

jjson

Liquimoly is the best IMO. Motul is pretty good but i would suggest the motul xclean over the xcess. Also, Liquimoly 0w40 has been very good in my car and currently have it in now. Typically my car would burn about 1/2 quart of oil but with the 0w40 LM it hasn't burned a drop

Which Liqui Moly 0W-40 do you use? I currently use LM's Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 on all my VW's. (parent's 15 Golf 1.8T, sister's MK6 Jetta w/ with the 1.8T gen 3, my GTI is new so won't be changing oil until late Feb). Great oil by the way, runs quieter and way more smooth compared to dealer's Castrol stuff

I'll most likely use the 5w-40 when it comes time but want to look at 0W when the winter months roll around.

Thanks in advance!

Great oil by the way, runs quieter and way more smooth compared to dealer's Castrol stuff
Honestly, I'm feeling the exact same after any oil change, no matter which oil I used.

Autosuggestion? Any new oil is better than any old? No idea. ;)

bilagain

Passed Driver's Ed
I've always tried to run Mobil1 0w-40 or close. Ran it in a '86 GTI 1.8 non-turbo with NOS for over 70,000 hard miles (added just before 30k) and at 100,000, I did a complete rebuild going to 2.1L and all the rod and main bearings were perfect. As in other than visible signs of rotational wear, there was nothing you could feel, plastigauge didn't show anything across the surface and the size was still at the original spec. Not bad for doubling the HP with a push of a button... for that many miles.

My experience on VW/Audi turbo engines is less build up, sludge and coking with Mobil1. 2001 A4, 2003 GTI, 2006 A4 and now the too-soon-to-tell 2016 GTI. Both the A4's were bought used. The 2006 A4 had what looked like cracked black pepper in the oil pan and was starting to plug the oil pickup. So I'm not sure but I believe that was from oil squirted on the backs of the pistons for cooling and I don't know what they ran but the car wasn't taken care of that well so probably so-so oil. The 2003 GTI shows zero signs of that and currently at about 122,000.

Sorry, got long winded on what looks like an old initial post brought back from near death.

surfstar

Ready to race!
No one has actually given the correct answer:

The best oil is the one that's VW certified and most importantly on sale. :)

The most true and best advice in this thread.

M1 0w40 $22/5qts at walmart or amazon, plus the occasional $12 rebate. Stock up when they have the rebate. Buy some in your family's name/address. Seriously. You cannot beat $2/qt for VW 502 oil. Anyone who says you need something more/different, is full of BS, like half this thread.
*its currently $25.47 and no rebate - see why I said to stock up when its on sale?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Surfstar,

The castrol 0w-40 is sometimes on sale when the mobil1 0w-40 isn't! (it isn't right now, but does drop to 19.99 shipped)

surfstar

Ready to race!
Surfstar,

The castrol 0w-40 is sometimes on sale when the mobil1 0w-40 isn't! (it isn't right now, but does drop to 19.99 shipped)

That's not a bad price - I'll definitely keep an eye out.
I'm not beholden to any brand. VW 502 oil on sale is the best "brand" for me.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
so 0w40 is the way to go?

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
It's crazy my gti would smell like burnt oil with m1 0w40. Tried it twice and saw some smoke from the tail pipe under casual driving. I switched back to the original motul 5w40 I been running from day 1 and never burnt or smelled weird out the tail pipe or smoked. I think my engine was allergic to m1. All my other cars use m1 fine.