GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

coolant mystery

simba

Passed Driver's Ed
Had to top up the coolant a couple of times in the last few weeks, got vw to check it out they said they have pressure tested and found nothing, the car has done nearly 6,ooo miles, i bought the car at 3,000 miles I never topped my a3 up in 3 years. It seems to be a common problem on the mk 7 though , they didn't seem to be working on it long i also thought a pressure test would take several hours. any thoughts guys.

s7wag

Ready to race!
Simba, I've not heard of this before so be interested to know more if its a common problem. Pressure test only takes a few minutes to do. they just connect to existing coolant bottle/tank with a pressure sealed lid and then pump up to put system under pressure to see where any leaks may be coming from. So would suggest you've not got any leaks from the coolant bottle, radiator and connecting pipes...stupid question is the lid on your coolant bottle OK - no sign of water coming out of the lid?

Steve

simba

Passed Driver's Ed
coolant

Hi guys ,yes expansion bottle lid looks good ,there is a smell of anti/freeze around that area when engine is hot though,it seems that the water p/p is the main culprit according to other v.a.g web sites on this new engine. I must confess i'm a little bit concerned.
Never come across this before in 40 years with v.a.g. excluding the old air cooled engine of course:rolleyes: the man from vertu said keep your eye on it, REALLY never thought of that.
The other theory is not from vw though it could settling down from new when they filled it at the factory after 6,000 miles:confused: again I've bought many a new Volkswagen audi skoda but never come across this before. i just hope the last theory is right, we shall see.

MarcA

Ready to race!
Hi guys ,yes expansion bottle lid looks good ,there is a smell of anti/freeze around that area when engine is hot though,it seems that the water p/p is the main culprit according to other v.a.g web sites on this new engine. I must confess i'm a little bit concerned.
Never come across this before in 40 years with v.a.g. excluding the old air cooled engine of course:rolleyes: the man from vertu said keep your eye on it, REALLY never thought of that.
The other theory is not from vw though it could settling down from new when they filled it at the factory after 6,000 miles:confused: again I've bought many a new Volkswagen audi skoda but never come across this before. i just hope the last theory is right, we shall see.
Could it be escaping as vapour when hot though thr cap? Used to happen on fords I've had previously. Just a thought :)

simba

Passed Driver's Ed
coolant.

Hi, after the vapour was expelled the coolant would follow there is no sign of this, putting a new cap on wouldn't hurt though. i'm not sure where they place the pressure tester , in my day it was on the ex.. bottle but they may put it in the line some where I don't know.

VolkyCakes

Don't worry to much, more input in the matter:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10763

/Peter

How can you say that, when the coolant level should not be moving from it's original factory state when the engine is cold. I discovered the same issue last week, when my coolant light came on. Coolant level was 1 cm below minimum cut-off line. 1 cm! I went to the dealer, they topped it off and said they'll check it further next time I come in for an oil-change. The coolant system is a closed system, which means that without the engine or the coolant overheating the coolant shouldn't be going anywhere.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Look under the car at the front at the sump to see if there is any coolant marks there. My thermostat housing was weeping and a pressure test did not spot it. I was loosing very little water but I knew it should not change level as it is a sealed system and the only variation would be expansion from the temperature of the coolant.

speedfr38ky

Passed Driver's Ed
Had to top up the coolant a couple of times in the last few weeks, got vw to check it out they said they have pressure tested and found nothing, the car has done nearly 6,ooo miles, i bought the car at 3,000 miles I never topped my a3 up in 3 years. It seems to be a common problem on the mk 7 though , they didn't seem to be working on it long i also thought a pressure test would take several hours. any thoughts guys.

Hi I was going to post a thread of my own and came across this...believe it or not I had the exact same mystery problem within 3 months of owning my GTD. Coolant level warning came up 3 months into owning the car ive never had to top up coolant before on any new car ive owned. It was during a cold spat (approx 4degs centrigrade) noticably chilly morning. Started the car up and the warning light came on. I checked the coolant bottle and it was way below the minimum you could just about see what was in the bottle. Rang up vw and the car went for a pressure test. Absolutely nothing was found wrong. They said everything was fine. So they topped it up and told me to keep an eye on it. Ive not had a problem since a year and a half on. The level has stayed bang on having covered an additional 40k miles. Absolute mystery.

Jens0n

Go Kart Newbie
+1,
9000 miles/10 months old and had the same problem last week, low coolant level warning came up.
Checking level it had dropped below minimum.

It's due a service soon, will ask them to check out.

Cheers
J.

nv1r

Ready to race!
I got my coolant light at around 18,000 miles - I make a habit of checking all required fluids when I'm washing the car and my coolant level dropped off pretty fast - same with the Oil - not sure if the sensors are reading too high or what. Just something I've now gotten used to keeping an eye on :)

elamothe15

Ready to race!
Any others with coolant issues recently?

After a trip up north for some snowboarding I got a low coolant warning. It was dumping snow at the mountain and I didn't notice until after I shoveled out my car (I was warming it up). I turned it off and turned it back on and the warning went away. I finally checked it once the engine cooled off again and the level in the expansion tank was well below the minimum line; however, I could still see coolant in the tank. I haven't received anymore low level alarms. My engine temps have been normal and so I don't think any damage has been done with the coolant below that min level for a few days. After all, that is just an expansion tank.

I just recently got some coolant so I can top it off. A coworker had some leftover coolant for his MK6 pink coolant P/N G013A41G so I'm assuming this is compatible with my car as well?

vwman

Go Kart Champion
I just recently got some coolant so I can top it off. A coworker had some leftover coolant for his MK6 pink coolant P/N G013A41G so I'm assuming this is compatible with my car as well?

G13 pink coolant has miscibility with the previous G12+ and G12++ formulations so there should no issues using a G13 formulation.

In Europe our German made coolant is P/N G013A8JM1.