GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter tires recommendations??

YellowC4S

Ready to race!
Nokian Hakkapeliita's and nothing else

andrew.gacom

Passed Driver's Ed
Got the tires!! Thanks again everyone for all your help! Went with the Blizzacks!

- Best Regards,

Andrew

yowalter

Passed Driver's Ed
You can poke around tirerack.com and go to "winter tire and wheel packages" or something like that. They also have reviews, etc. if you get new wheels, which personally I'd prefer for convenience, consider downsizing to 17" or 16". You can find lots of wheel options under $100 per

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yowalter

Passed Driver's Ed
You can poke around tirerack.com and go to "winter tire and wheel packages" or something like that. They also have reviews, etc. if you get new wheels, which personally I'd prefer for convenience, consider downsizing to 17" or 16". You can find lots of wheel options under $100 per

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just for anyone else looking for winter tires

Nokians were my first thought when I researched in Dec, but due to price and availability options, I chose the second best option, according to reviews and tests. 225/45R-17 MICHELIN X-ICE XI3.

Last edited:

Burn

Great choice! Next time around, you'll be able to switch to another brand and see what the others can do, but I love Blizzaks.

The last 10 years I have rolled through these... all excellent, imho. Can't go wrong with any of them. I find each has some characteristics that are better than others through Fall, Winter, Spring.. but all very balanced and only slightly better than the other in their own areas.

The key for me is how well they handle the fall transitioning from cool to frozen slippery roads. How well they drive on snowy versus icy roads.. and how they drive on the melting wet roads in spring.

1. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2
Best overall, quiet, awesome on snowy roads, icy roads, wet roads, all tops - sometimes the most expensive, but they're usually close to Blizzaks, cheaper right now (I just bought a new set for my new R).

2. Bridgestone Blizzaks
My second favourite, depending on sizing, can get pricey - for my 18" wheels, they're more $ than the Nokians. Amazing on snowy roads.. only downside, a little noisy on dry roads.. and second to Michelin on icy roads, but way better than Michelin on snowy roads.

3. Michelin X-Ice
Love these... usually quite affordable. Quiet on clear roads, better than Bridgestone on cleared - icy roads.. still great on snowy roads, but see above.

Anyway, I am just rambling at this point now... living in Canada, the winters are a must, it's nice to have so many awesome options.