GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

V power Diesel?

mikef4uk

Ready to race!
Anyone tried it? what did you notice if anything (I have tried a tankfull this week and it did make a difference that I will tell once I hear what others have noticed)

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I tried a full tank on my mapped E71 40d and it made a HUGE difference to the fecking cost of a full tank but nothing else.

mikef4uk

Ready to race!
Yeah, I noticed the cost, did not notice any more performance or mpg but what I did notice was we have been using the car for shortish journeys recently and when turning the car off it has been performing a dpf regen, noticed this as the cooling fans have been running

After trying a tank of v power though the thing i noticed was it hasn't done a regen since, at least it seems that way

KGB1

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't always fill our gtd with v-power but for the last year i have run my Transporter van on the stuff and it has made a very noticable difference to it. It takes a few tankfuls before the improvements start but I was getting an engine light displaying every few hundred miles prior to using v power - fault showing as a faulty egr valve. Since running on v power I haven't had the light on, the van is noticably smoother running, the engine is quieter and I get better MPG so the extra cost of the fuel is well worth it for me, especially when vw wanted £600+ to replace the faulty egr!

mondo

Ready to race!
I recall a work colleague who had a Golf 5 GTD filling with V-Power and this caused his engine check light to come on and some erratic behaviour when driving in regards to idling and power delivery.
He continued to fill the car with this stuff and these 'issues' went away after a few tanks of fuel and he swore by this Excellium Diesel/V-Power type stuff.

I run my MK7 GTD on vanilla standard diesel, as it's new I may just try a tankful to see for myself...

Tahiti1

Passed Driver's Ed
The one time that the wife put Sainsbury's petrol in, it appeared to want to regen more.

I'm sure it's the placebo effect, but I only ever put V-Power or BP Ultimate in, and it runs fine.

theblueflash

My golf 150pd used to love the stuff. I noticed it on the first tank. Engine note was different. A lot cleaner power delivery. Prob 20+ miles extra from a tank. Apart from the price I can't fault it. Used to chuck a tank load in once a month or so. Will be doing the same with the GTD.

mondo

Ready to race!
After reading this Thread, I rose to the challenge..

In Germany the Esso brand diesel I've been using has 7% biodiesel content, which I believe applies to most regular diesel types in Germany, so I had to see for myself

Driving from Strasbourg to Amsterdam on Tuesday I had enough "regular" diesel to do about 300KM (185 Miles)
When the tank was almost empty, I filled with Aral brand V-Power type diesel. Looking at the logos/livery on the V-Power pumps, I assume this is rebranded Shell so perhaps I am wrong, but the colours/logos remind me of the Shell V-Power diesel. It's not uncommon for vendors to rebrand better known brands as their own.

I filled the tank with this stuff, and off I set, but one issue, this part of the autobahn is limited to 130KM/H speed limit...
Now with regular diesel, the car claims the range on a full tank is about 780KM, so with the new stuff, same reading

It got interesting once I was back on the autobahn and flipped through the menu to see the range on the tank.
After 17KM of driving, the range meter claimed I had 740KM range.. weird.. then at 30KM traveled it claimed 750KM range
After 60KM traveled at 130KM/h (80MPH) the range was then extended to 800KM, something I'd never seen before, as the maximum ever displayed was 780KM range.
I think the engine management had to adjust to the new fuel type, but even so, I am 80KM up on a tank.. allegedly

When I got to the limitless part of the autobahn, I decided to see if this fuel makes a difference!
It does, the car feels crisper, more responsive and quicker on top gear acceleration (140-210KM/h) <- this being my "limited top speed" due to winter wheels & tyres being fitted [by law] and only rated to 210KM/h

I then stopped for coffee and when heading out of the roadside services, decided to test the acceleration.
There is definitely an improvement, without any doubt. I made a few stops on the way and there is a noticeable difference in power delivery, perhaps not "measurable" but I can feel it for sure

I entered the Netherlands where I undertook 200KM of driving at [legal] speeds from 130-100KM/h
The range was still good, I'd covered just under 400KM and according to the range reading, had well over 400KM left on the tank

So, in my opinion it does make a difference over the regular diesel, which does contain 7% biodiesel
Cost wise, it was €1.33/L at Aral, I pay €1.28 for Esso regular diesel in Kehl, Germany, so 5c/litre difference

I will continue to use this stuff for sure, even though I know that the autohof (services on the autobahn) will rip me off a little more for this fuel, but it's good stuff, the car likes it, so do I..

Torivw

I work in the biodiesel manufacturing industry. I would never run my car on anything other than v power or ultimate. I see how they make biodiesel, trust me, you wouldn’t want that stuff, even 7% of it anywhere near you