GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I buy the wife a Tiguan?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
:confused:

O.M.G! We think its time for VW designers to get out of the 1980's design classes and get busy on something that is more fitting for our time. This thing above looks WAY worse that a 2005 GMC Acadia (and the Acadia still looks better than this today). My Lord! The words "boring", "stodgy", "More boxy than a 1970's Volvo"....uggh.

Did a great thing with the Mk7...but think about this for a moment...the Mk7 is really a mild redesign on the corners of a Mk6 which is a mild redesign of the corners from the mk5 etc., etc.....so not a whole lot of opportunity to mess up a naturally good design from years gone by. OK then.

We looked around, and did consider the new Tiguan (still boringly boxy, especially that horrid and hideous front grill on the 18's), I was hoping for something modern, instead BOXY and UGLIER than the 16's.

Gave up!

Enter....Mazada CX-9. Just bought one, Signature Series. i-Active AWD, so many safety features, HUD, Bose stereo, fast 2.5L turbo.....Smooth, quiet, AWESOME in everyway. Sorry VW...you need to get ahead of the times, not lag behind!:rolleyes:

EDIT: PS...this thing ^^^^^^looks like something from the hertz car rental lot at Heathrow airport. Woah!

So all designs need to look like the new Nissan designs? Modern.
No thanks.
VW's are a more classy design.
New Tiquan likely drives well which trumps design for me.
MK5, MK6, MK7. I think goal is to improve without changing the box.
Again they could do a Nissan ugly design but then it would also look ugly.

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Looks good to me.

Now the Jetta on the other hand..... no.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I think you have that backwards.
The Sport is the nicer/more expensive model...it has leather, roof, HID's, body kit, navigation, 18's, etc.

The Wolfsburg just adds some different wheels & a pano roof & the Wolfsburg badge over the base S. (no HID's or fogs for example)

I love my Tiguan. Solid build quality/materials, and insurance is pretty cheap on it.

BUT downsides:
-Takes premium
-Crappy gas mileage in the city (under 20)....mid to maybe high 20's on the freeway
-Not much room in the trunk, unless you fold down the rear seats
-Auto trans isn't the best pairing with the 2.0t (no DSG here)

Was just on the VW site and realized the msrp of the Tiguan Sport 4Motion is $35k. If they are really giving it to you for $23k. That is cheap. Something to consider.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
So all designs need to look like the new Nissan designs? Modern.
No thanks.
VW's are a more classy design.
New Tiquan likely drives well which trumps design for me.
MK5, MK6, MK7. I think goal is to improve without changing the box.
Again they could do a Nissan ugly design but then it would also look ugly.

How do I give you all the stars and likes...

You nailed it.

Axles of Evil

Ready to race!
Who said anything about a Nissan

How do I give you all the stars and likes...

You nailed it.

This is the new Mazda CX-9. Its a bit more modern than the Tiguan. Just a bit ;):D

Attachments

• 2016-12-22_18-48-35.jpg
    2016-12-22_18-48-35.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 415

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
That front end is hideous....

I think it's one of the best looking SUVs out there short of a Macan.
Mazda in general has been doing a great job on styling.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I think it's one of the best looking SUVs out there short of a Macan.

Mazda in general has been doing a great job on styling.

Agreed i really like Mazda's direction. Now, let's see what they do with the new MS3...

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
This is the new Mazda CX-9. Its a bit more modern than the Tiguan. Just a bit ;):D

I can appreciate any design.
It is good we have variety as all people are not the same.

I am from German descent, and from what I know, German people strive for something solid, reliable, extensively thought out (Engineered). Others might call this boring, but sometimes things that work well are boring because they just work. Or day to day work predictably.

Don't take other opinions hard. We like to discuss here.
Everyone has a different view of what is best.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Mazda is a great company. Never really liked the look of the MS3 but love the direction they're going in. Well built, nicely equipped, overall nice cars imo.

If I had a family and the wife needed a big SUV, the CX9 would be at the top of the list alongside Toyota's 4Runner.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Did you test the CX-5? The Tiguan seems the most outdated, but her commute is relatively short and doesn't want to spend more than 25k.

My fiancé and I went with a Cx5 for her. We test drove every single crossover type vehicle on the market and the Cx5 blew everything out of the water truthfully. Slightly underpowered for its size in my opinion but it hides it well. Smoothest, most comfortable ride and best handling vehicle in the segment. The new ones are being overhauled also and have supposedly dropped 10-15 decibels off the noise level in the cabin if quiet is a big factor for you.

Last edited: