GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - HD Clutch Stop - for less than a dollar! for all MQB MK7 Golf 5 and 6MT

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Sometimes it's the little things that matter. This is one of those little things that can have a positive effect on your driving and enjoyment. The infamous Clutch Stop.

Now I'm not going to belabour this DIY thread on why you may want to upgrade/change your clutch stop, nor am I going to mention any vendor or company names in this writeup. What I am going to do is show you how to build a better clutch stop than what is currently on the market for a fraction of the cost!

Why did I not just go ahead and buy a clutch stop that was already available? Well to be honest I did not care for the materials used (mostly dense foam and plastic). People have also reported clutch 'stickiness' when depressed against these other clutch stops, and a 'break-in' period while the dense foam compressed over repeated use. Some have also complained of a slight rattle or noise if using multiple metal washers, and an inconsistent feel at the clutch stop. Foam pads have also been known to fall off as they are simply glued on to the plastic support. Given the relative simplicity of the concept I figured I would have a go at making my own - just so happened that it was a LOT less expensive than I thought it might be.

Introducing the 'HD MQB Clutch Stop'

Now, you may think that 'HD' stands for Heavy Duty.. Well it kinda does, but it also stands for Home Depot lol

These Heavy Duty Pads, as advertised on the packaging, are actually sliders that are typically used on furniture. They are impregnated with a stainless washer, surrounded buy a very HD rubber with a slight texture on the face.

I picked a pack of four sliders up from my local Home Depot for just over $3 CAD (that's about 25 cents American if my math is correct :D ). The sliders I chose are 1.5" in diameter. They also have 1" available for $2.64 CAD if you want to save some money :p

Then on to the hardware isle for some rubber washers. Chose rubber washers with the same OD as your slider, obviously I chose 1.5" rubber washers.

The next thing you're going to need is a wall anchor. Yes you heard me, a wall anchor. You know those damn little plastic things that come with every damn thing you buy for your home or garage?! I guarantee your mom has like five of them in her drawer, I bet if you ask nice she'll let you have one.

Finally, you may want to get a 1" sheet metal or 'body' screw. Really though, any course thread screw that is not too thick will do. I chose an auto body screw as it had a black finish with a larger head. If you really wanted you could use the screws provided in the package, again if you wanted to save money haha

so again, here is what you need

Step 1 - pop out the rubber OEM 'stopper' where your clutch stop is to be inserted..

Step 2 - Insert your anchor. For reference the anchor size I found fits best is approximately 9mm at the head, and I had to cut it down to approximately 20mm (any longer and it doesn't go in flush). Your anchor should sit basically flush as the hole that exists there has a taper.

*MacGyver's pro tip - thread your screw into the anchor a few times prior to installing the anchor, it will make threading the screw easier once you mount your new clutch stop. Also, when screwing in, you will have to provide a bit of pressure on the stop itself to help prevent the anchor from spinning.. Likewise, when removing, you will need to provide outward pressure as you unscrew, again to prevent the anchor from spinning freely.

** MacGyver's pro tip part deux - if you find your anchor spins too much, try wrapping it with a thin layer of wire loom fabric tape, or even hockey tape will do in a pinch. This will provide some needed friction!

next is to decide how many rubber spacers (washers) you need/want. I settled on four, with each having a thickness of approx. 1.5mm. Combined with the 8mm slider that works out to be about 14mm.

* if you want a thicker stopper, from here you could stack two sliders back to back to put you at 16mm, then add rubber washers in-between as you see fit.

the clutch arm meets the new clutch stop perfectly. No 'sticky' or 'squishy' spots, no break-in period necessary.

I gained approx 3whp with this 'mod', at least this is what I calculated on the highly sensitive and accurate ButtDyno. Results may vary.

EDIT - Please see this wonderful video by one of our fellow member's TheKickinSquid as he performs this DIY

SK - thanks so much for your 'HD MQB Clutch Stop' idea!

It's the first mod I've done to my R, and it definitely made a difference in clutch feel. Prior to coming across this thread I scoured YouTube for a DIY install - no luck on that. So, in order to spread the DIY love I shot a short install vid, with a link to this thread, and posted it on YouTube.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPoELXGfgJk

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
SkVeedub aka MacGyver
Very creative use of materials.
Already have mine, but bookmarking for future reference

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
Just installed mine with your instructions. Thank you very much! I used 2 rubber washers and it feels fine right now. I'll see if i want to add more down the road. Thank you for the write up. Great $5 mod and reversible if you want to put the stock stop back in :)

Last edited:

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Just installed mine with your instructions. Thank you very much! I used 2 rubber washers and it feels fine right now. I'll see if i want to add more down the road. Thank you for the write up. Great $5 mod and reversible if you want to put the stock stop back in :)

awesome! - yeah I experimented with different thicknesses.. I also ran at where you have it set at and It feels really good as well. For me the sweet spot is the equivalent of four of those thin rubber washers (each is 1.5mm thick), or 6mm.. I also wanted to push the limit to see where the max setting was on the MK7 and it appears that approx 9mm is the max before you run into safety switch issues and not being able to start your car. The nice thing with this high density rubber is there is no 'squish' factor.. Explains why people describe a 'break-in' period with those foam clutch stops out there, and inconsistent performance. Glad people are liking this DIY!

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
The nice thing with this high density rubber is there is no 'squish' factor.. Explains why people describe a 'break-in' period with those foam clutch stops out there, and inconsistent performance. Glad people are liking this DIY!

Yes I love that there is no break in period. Its nice and solid, just install and go :)

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Now that I think of it mine feels kinda squished.. I have to press down further than normal.. Trip to Home Depot it is!!!

Hold your horses there bro, you should wait until your shifter assembly from me arrives.. There may be a surprise in there for you ;)