GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

7500 miles and 1 qt low - normal?

IDriveaGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Just turned 7500 miles on my '16 and I checked the oil and noticed it was low. Added a qt of liquimoly (I was preparing for this) and it brought the oil level back to the middle part of the dip stick.

If this is normal, why is it normal?

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
That's not an alarming loss by any means. I don't recall the exact figure, but the manual states something like a quart every 1500 miles is normal - lol. I think that's nuts, but I wouldn't worry about losing a quart over 7,500 miles. I'd wager that most of the loss was in the first 1,000 miles.

My engine hasn't burned a drop through over 6,000 miles so far. I drive it like I stole it. I'm a firm believer in the value of a hard break-in to get everything well-seated and worn in, and then a break-in oil change at 1,000 miles.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Just turned 7500 miles on my '16 and I checked the oil and noticed it was low. Added a qt of liquimoly (I was preparing for this) and it brought the oil level back to the middle part of the dip stick.

If this is normal, why is it normal?

I'm sitting at 15809 miles and have not added any oil between changes. I have accrued two track events on my engine too.

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
That's not an alarming loss by any means. I don't recall the exact figure, but the manual states something like a quart every 1500 miles is normal - lol. I think that's nuts, but I wouldn't worry about losing a quart over 7,500 miles. I'd wager that most of the loss was in the first 1,000 miles.

My engine hasn't burned a drop through over 6,000 miles so far. I drive it like I stole it. I'm a firm believer in the value of a hard break-in to get everything well-seated and worn in, and then a break-in oil change at 1,000 miles.
Actually, I believe the figure is more like 1 quart every 1100-1200 is acceptable per the VW manual. Either way, that's a ridiculous amount of oil to lose. I had a 2006 Infiniti G35 that I bought brand new and I got the engine replaced under warranty because it was consuming 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. What's "normal" to VW gets you a new engine with Nissan/Infiniti. lol