GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should i wait for car to cool down before washing

mawallace

Ready to race!
Someone has told me that I need to wait for the car to 'cool' down before washing it, as otherwise the brake discs will go rusty or go out of shape. Is this true?

MarcA

Ready to race!
Someone has told me that I need to wait for the car to 'cool' down before washing it, as otherwise the brake discs will go rusty or go out of shape. Is this true?

I don't think it gets hot enough in the UK to worry haha.
As for polishing and waxing depending on the product used then cool is better yes.

Axles of Evil

Ready to race!
DO NOT!

Unless you want warped brake discs, do not put hose pipe water on hot brakes. The quenching process 'could' buckle the disc, and then you end up with vibrations when the brakes are applied. If you are washing the car, always wait until cold.

When driving in the rain, the application of brakes is a gradual and UNIFORM heating process, when washing you may only hit one side of the hot disc (not the other) initially, and then bingo, warping may occur. :eek:

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Whoever told you that is in cloud cuckoo land, how do they explain going through a puddle or flood? The discs will not suffer any ill effects from washing after any journey.

All ferrite metals will get surface rust if any moisture is introduced. Leave the car in gear, instead of applying the parking brake after washing as the pads stick to the discs.

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
My car wash place is like 10 min from me. So, I always go early morning (cold) and do not wait. If you're going to spray all up in the wheel wells, than good idea to let the rotors cool down for 10 - 20 minutes. Other than that, you're GTG.

GeoBog

Ready to race!
I would not put a cold water pressure wash on the car especially the wheels until it cools down. You can warp the brake disks and then the car will vibrate when braking because the disks will be diformed. As for rusty discs because the car is not cooled enough that is bo**ocks. The brake rotors will rust anyway when car is washed no matter of the temperature.