GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Exterior / Interior Care (washing, detailing, exterior repairs)

Old 04-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #1
jayrm14

Drives: GTI
Products to clean yellowing wheels

So this is a little off topic regarding VW, but my wife has a Ford Escape, and her wheels are getting some yellowing from the brake dust. I have washed the car, and wheels weekly since we bought it, yet they are still yellowing.

Does anyone have any recommendations or products to remove/prevent the yellowing? I generally wax the car and wheels, bi-yearly.
jayrm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #2
PouncingPanzer

Drives: White '17 GTI Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrm14 View Post
So this is a little off topic regarding VW, but my wife has a Ford Escape, and her wheels are getting some yellowing from the brake dust. I have washed the car, and wheels weekly since we bought it, yet they are still yellowing.

Does anyone have any recommendations or products to remove/prevent the yellowing? I generally wax the car and wheels, bi-yearly.
Get a mild wheel brush and a solid wheel cleaner. For wheels that bad, I'd grab my bottle of Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus. Tough stuff for tough wheel contamination. Don't rinse wheel off, hit it with Sonax right off the bat and let it dwell for 2-3 minutes. Then, with a soap bucket and your tools of choice(a gentle brush works best for loosening) wash them as you have always done. I have had to hit some really bad wheels twice before, but eventually the cleaner got the vast majority of the discoloring off.

Some over the counter alternatives to try out if you're not an online shopper is Griots Garage Wheel Cleaner. Bit pricey compared but still fairly effective.

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
ashchuckton

Drives: VW GTI
I've used Sonax on some pretty poor condition used wheels I bought. I used some elbow grease & a soaked old Microfiber towel with Sonax. I could not believe how well the wheels cleaned up.
ashchuckton is offline   Reply With Quote