GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More crackles and pops

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
Hello i recently installed a CTS catless dp and I had a straight pipe catback. I added a vibrant 1793 res because the car would trump to much. The res allowed the car to be like 50 % quieter. I then add a magnaflower oval muffler 4 x 9 i had laying around. THis made the car to me super quiet i was thinking of adding a round magnaflow muffler their available in 3 sizes, 4 , 5 and 6 inch round. Common sense tells me all these mufflers would be louder because their essentially half the length of the oval and alot smaller. Im wondering which size round i should use, i was thinking 5 inches round because im hoping for my aggressive shift farts and some crackles. I just dont want my car to sound rice like a trumpet, thats why i think a smaller muffler will help eliminate that noise but still sound louder.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Trumpet sound is the worst. Good luck with whatever you plan.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I know selling your DP best move but would adding a cat make a difference?

And the pops and such are a product of the DSG correct? Our 6AT trans doesn’t really lead to the same effects...

Last edited:

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
I know selling your DP best move but would adding a cat make a difference?

And the pops and such are a product of the DSG correct? Our 6AT trans doesn’t really lead to the same effects...

My up shifts use to shit like dihierra, now their just quiet. I believe a smaller muffler will help. My 6A up shifts were nice , and while slowing down on 3rd and 2nd I'd hear crackle. Small muffler is the way forsure.

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
I did some numbers right now my set up is 504 volume (4x9x14, magna flow muffler 11226) +224 volume (4x4x14, 1793 vibrant resonator) =728 volume of muffling materials(current set up) , which is a 225% more volume from vibrant resonator only set up.

(4x4x14) Vibrant resonator only = 224 volume

1: What I'd do Magnaflow 14156 (4x4x6) 96 + 224 vibrant resonator = 320 volume, 56 % decrease in muffling capabilities, 43% volume increase from vibrant resonator only set up.

2: or Magnaflow 14158 (6x6x6) 216 + 224 vibrant muffler = 440 volume , 40 % decrease in muffling capabilities. 96 % increase of vibrant resonator only.

ill see in the upcoming weeks how i like my quiet set up but i am leaning towards option 1 , also my term volume means like the inches 2 squared of space inside the muffler.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
In general, this engine does not sound good at all when made louder. It’s one of the worst sounding 4 cylinders out there. Luckily for us it’s one of the best at making power though. I really prefer the sound of the stock exhaust with just a downpipe. Even a catted one. Anything super loud or just to make noise is pretty much rice. That is unless you have a love affair with the way a tractor sounds. Lol

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
Before the downpipe I was straight pipe catback and it sounded mint , now it's super quiet can't even make upshift farts

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
In general, this engine does not sound good at all when made louder. It’s one of the worst sounding 4 cylinders out there. Luckily for us it’s one of the best at making power though. I really prefer the sound of the stock exhaust with just a downpipe. Even a catted one. Anything super loud or just to make noise is pretty much rice. That is unless you have a love affair with the way a tractor sounds. Lol

Agreed. I guess one man's music is another man's noise, LOL. When we were welding my custom system up, I had the straight pipe on my 1.8 with stock DP for a bit. It sounded like RiceARoni to me personally.

OP, I think changing the muffler is the key to changing the sound to get what you want (esp at WOT), but I don't have any advice.

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
Agreed. I guess one man's music is another man's noise, LOL. When we were welding my custom system up, I had the straight pipe on my 1.8 with stock DP for a bit. It sounded like RiceARoni to me personally.

OP, I think changing the muffler is the key to changing the sound to get what you want (esp at WOT), but I don't have any advice.

Only thing I dis liked was the occasional cabin drone but it wasn't much to tolerate. The complete straight pipe sounded like my friends 2.0 na Lancer , I think I might go with option 2 since it's bigger and will give me more noise but less drone.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

I haven't heard anything but stock downpipe in person, but I think I'm the opposite :p. From the videos an aftermarket downpipe is when the car gets that harsh ricey tone, but with stock downpipe it stays deep and growley, surprisingly good for a 4 cylinder. That is most of the reason I am curious about your results of piggypipe vs aftermarket downpipe, my ideal setup would be a piggypipe with something like an AWE catback as long as I'm not sacrificing anything.

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
wtf? That upshift is hilarious sounding (kinda cool) and that's an automatic slushbox?

I dont' plan on getting a loud exhaust on mine but I kinda hope the catless DP I add doesn't make it too much louder, but adds cool turbo sounds at least. The DP on my WRX made turbo spoolup significantly louder while the rest of the exhaust remained the same so I'm hoping similar with the EA888.

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
wtf? That upshift is hilarious sounding (kinda cool) and that's an automatic slushbox?

I dont' plan on getting a loud exhaust on mine but I kinda hope the catless DP I add doesn't make it too much louder, but adds cool turbo sounds at least. The DP on my WRX made turbo spoolup significantly louder while the rest of the exhaust remained the same so I'm hoping similar with the EA888.

yup the sound is awesome, the upshifts sound similar to my friend porsche macan turbo s. The video set up was stock dp + 2.5 inch straight pipe catback, when i added the catless dp it sounded like a trumpet, u should add the 17930 vibrant ultra quiet resonator that GTI jake suggested me but i didn't listen lol, i don't like loud either i like a moderate nice sound thats not super quiet , i kinda like my current set up just wish it was a bit louder.

my catless dp with my res and muffler , you can hear the turbo spool through the exhaust.

can you post how your caxton v1 cup lip looks like on ur car

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I haven't heard anything but stock downpipe in person, but I think I'm the opposite :p. From the videos an aftermarket downpipe is when the car gets that harsh ricey tone, but with stock downpipe it stays deep and growley, surprisingly good for a 4 cylinder. That is most of the reason I am curious about your results of piggypipe vs aftermarket downpipe, my ideal setup would be a piggypipe with something like an AWE catback as long as I'm not sacrificing anything.

The difference is that our stock catback is much quieter than the gti. All of their downpipes sound louder than what ours will. I had a catted downpipe and it was still pretty quiet. My muffler is different from the Golf though. Not sure the sound difference. The combination of the piggie pipe and the open grill vents for the intake gives a nice growl without sounding too much different than what a "stock" exhaust system would sound like. Not ours stock, but in general. It doesn't sound like someone added an aftermarket as opposed to a good sounding stock system. It does have a slightly tinny sound compared to the aftermarket downpipe, but that could be because I wrapped the top part of the aftermarket downpipe. The other day I got on it really quick in second driving past my friend. He said it sounds really good and clean. Won't draw any attention, But way better than stock. The only thing I may consider down the road is a different rear muffler.